Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone build a custom intake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone build a custom intake?

I'm looking for a little bang for the buck, plus a new project.

Currently I have an clear lid and LS6 intake manifold. I don't think it's enough. I'm thinkin about porting my TB by myself. But I want a clean, unique look for my car that adds power.

I saw a guy that made intake bellows out of aluminum pipe and that was pretty cool.

I have access to an aluminum welder for free. I wanna build one of those custom intake manifolds, but they looks tough as **** to make.

I just really want a new project for the intake.

Anyone have the measurments for an SLP ram air that bolts up to the air dam?

Mods: MS3 cam, LS6 intake, clear lid, K&N, headers, y-pipe, etc...
Old 09-14-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

honestly the P/P TB is the only thing you should consider modifying. the SLP Cold Air kit is debatable. you arent running a big enough setup to come even close to needing something better than a lid+LS6 intake
Old 09-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Yeah, but I don't see how a better set up, like a 90/90 would hurt.

The way I always learned, an engine is a pump. The more freely the pump flows, the more horsepower.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
Yeah, but I don't see how a better set up, like a 90/90 would hurt.

The way I always learned, an engine is a pump. The more freely the pump flows, the more horsepower.
there is such a thing as having too much air. there are plenty of guys on here that have put a fast on and have lost power all over the torque curve. thats because the fast is overkill for them. ask most anyone on here and they will tell you to stick with the LS6
Old 09-16-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's your car, do what you want.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd also stay with the LS6 until you do heads, especially at $1000 for a fast 90!!! With that money you could buy some 243's for $350-400 and get them ported. Possibly enough left over for Gm head gaskets, arp bolts, arp assembly lube.

There you could pick up 35-40rwhp instead of dping a manifold and possibly losing 5 hp or gaining 10hp.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

He's not talking about buying a fast intake....

Anyways I'm currently working on my custom intake. just finished the very front, had to cut into the bumper support but now the holes on each side of the grill are very functional, just need to fab up something to connect them to the underside of my lid.

I want to make it a sealed system so my car is grabbed air from and only from the outside of the car, not the hot engine bay.

Here is a pic so far from the outside:

Old 09-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Yeah I did that to a buddy's V6. I'm not too sure about it tho. I forgot about that until you mentioned it.

I posted it on fullthrottlev6 and there was a guy who was a physics major and prooved that those holes with 4" heater ducting going to the air box would force 3x as much air as the engine needed at 70mph.

Send me a PM when you finish and let me know what you think. I might do it too....
Old 09-17-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
Yeah I did that to a buddy's V6. I'm not too sure about it tho. I forgot about that until you mentioned it.

I posted it on fullthrottlev6 and there was a guy who was a physics major and prooved that those holes with 4" heater ducting going to the air box would force 3x as much air as the engine needed at 70mph.

Send me a PM when you finish and let me know what you think. I might do it too....
That is pretty sweet, I had no idea it would be forcing in that much air, like I said I just started this to get the coldest air possible into the motor.

What ideas have you been tossing around?
Old 09-18-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Go big or go home, build an intake manifold.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Idk. I just love the look of those aluminium boxed intake manifolds and I really want one. Plus I love custom fabrication (ideal job) and wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone.

I might just throw a p&p TB on the car with a ram air like SLP makes to go on the dam or one of the custom ones like hlaalu is making.

Oh... and who is that girl in your sig? I'd pee in her butt....