Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Casting Failure on Victor Jr Intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Casting Failure on Victor Jr Intake

Well I pulled the intake off my car to clean it up and paint it and found that what is in the pictures. I know there was a thread on here a while back about someone else that this happened too but haven't searched for it yet.

I bought the intake from Summit back in Feb 2008 and had it on the car for a little over a year and was torqued to 11 ft lbs like the instructions said. It had brand new Fel Pro gaskets installed at that time. If I remember correctly, Edelbrock knew about the issue and said there was an error with one of their machines that cuts the grooves for the intake gaskets. It cut the groove too close to the outer edge of the intake and it splits like this one did.

I called Edelbrock and spoke with a tech about it and he said to get the invoice when I bought it and send them pictures. Got the invoice from Summit and emailed the rep the pics/invoice on 17 Sep. Got an email back saying his supervisor wanted to know what it was torqued to and told him 11 ft lbs per the instructions. I wait and hear nothing on Friday or over the weekend. So I call them back today(21 Sep) and they say they can not make the determination on what caused the failure by the pictures and they will need the intake shipped to them. So tomorrow I'm going to send it out(they should pay for the shipping since it was their product with a warranty that failed) and wait the 3-4 days until it gets there and then another 2-3 days for them to determine if they are going to replace it. I just ordered another one from Jeg's today because I need to get the bugs worked out of the car before the tracks close. The car has been in Ohio since December(I was deployed Jan-May) and I just got it back down here about a week ago so not too thrilled about the down time and not being able to drive it.

Enough of my ranting, here are the pics

Last edited by Z28/2002; 09-21-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

The failures are on the # 3, 5 & 7 runners

Old 09-21-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, thats shitty man. Good luck on getting them to fix it.

If it happends again, I would tell/show them pics and then have a good welder weld them back up and it would be stronger than before.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my brother had one 3 years ago that did the same thing. Edledbrock knows the problem, maybe you got a old unit, they should have fixed the problem by now
Old 10-09-2009, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Well Edelbrock is sending me a new Victor Jr, should be at the house next week. Had some trouble getting in touch with the guy handling the claim and after about 6 phone calls finally got up with him.

Looks like I will have a spare(ordered a new one the day after I sent the old one back to Edelbrock) for the next motor
Old 10-09-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although it seems like it took some time, glad to see they are taking care of the issue for you.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Yup glad to see a company that stands behind their product
Old 10-09-2009, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's awesome service!

Quick Reply: Casting Failure on Victor Jr Intake