Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter LT, Texas Speed ORY, magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pacesetter LT, Texas Speed ORY, magnaflow

Guys,

I am installing Pacesetter LT headers, Texas Speed ORY, and I already had a Magnaflow cat back exhaust.

I have the headers in (did the motor mounts too). I am now at the ORY part of the install. I could not get things to connect with my catback installed, So I took the clamps off and everything is apart now. It seems to me that things are too long when I have it together. The mount where the over the axle pipe is too far from the holder.

So my question (s).

Is there any cutting you have had to do to make this type of setup work?

I don't want to cut anything if I don't have to. Everything is new, so it still comes apart nice.

Thanks

Don
Old 09-27-2009, 06:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the exact same setup as you and it all went together good. are you sure you are pusing the pipes all the way in on the y. i know that mine didnt look like it was gonna come close to fitting untill i had all the pipes pushed in far together
Old 09-27-2009, 06:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

btw i did have to take the cross member thing off to fit the y-pipe
Old 09-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Launching!

You should have enough play in the pipes to make it fit, mine was tight but didnt cut anything.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I will get under there and give it another try.

I have it all back apart now. The Y-pipe seem to have trouble going all the way in on the passenger side where they merge. seemed to loose to me and was not going all the way in. Maybe I need to mess with the drivers side to make the passeneger fit better.

Don

Last edited by donman; 09-28-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:13 AM
Teching In

Sorry, a little off subject here.
Did you get your LT's directly form pacesetter or another vendor? And, are you satisfied with the quality and fitment? I'm trying to decide between the pacesetters and hookers and just wanted a second opinion. Thanks.
Again, sorry this was off subject.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

I got the LT and Y from Texas Speed.

I think the qualty on the LT's is really nice. I got the coated ones. The passenger side went in really nice. I had the car up about 20" from the bottom of the K-member to the floor. I did not raise the rear end until I had to work on the rest of the exhaust.

The drivers side went in fine after I cut a piece of the tab on the back of the block. I used my dremel and a good cutting wheel (and a 90 degree adapter). I did not have anything else to cut with. I put the headers in by myself.

There are other tips in these forums for dealing with the drivers side. Really it was not that bad cutting the tab off the block. I did not have to cut the whole tab off.

I got them up near the heads and then rested them so I could go up top. Then I lifted them and got one bolt started.

I did not feel like messing around with the motor mount bolts to get the drivers side in. I had spent a few days changing those dang things and did not feel like messing with them or even looking at them.

I had to bend the AIR tube oin the dirvers side to make it reach from where the mount on the drivers side header is to the rubber hose. It was not too bad. Passeneger side went in without bending.

I got the headers with the EGR and Air fittings. On my car, I did not need the EGR fitting and it is in the way of my spark plug wires reaching. It reaches but rests on that fitting. I need to addres that before I screw up a plug wire.

I was able to reach most bolts with a 3/8" torque rench to tighten them. I don't think the rear bolt on the passeneger side I could reach.

The only other problem I had was getting the dipstick tube bolt back in. I must have bolted the headers a little high as the washer on the bolt for the dipstick tube hit the header flange as I was tightening it. I took the bolt out and ground down the washer a little bit and then it went right in.

I did not have to cut any part but the tab on the back of the block on the drivers side.

So I am happy with the pacesetter headers. I haven't seen the hookers so I cannot really comment on them.

Good luck...

Don

Last edited by donman; 09-28-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had to cut my the pipe running from the muffler to the y-pipe because it was to long. One of the tail pipe hanger welds broke twice on my magnaflow. I still have to get it fixed and a few more things adjusted.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by haddockWS6
Sorry, a little off subject here.
Did you get your LT's directly form pacesetter or another vendor? And, are you satisfied with the quality and fitment? I'm trying to decide between the pacesetters and hookers and just wanted a second opinion. Thanks.
Again, sorry this was off subject.
I forgot one more thing. I already had the starter off the passenger side from replacing my motor mounts. I slid the headers in with the starter loose. I don't think it would have been an issue, but just in case someone else reads this thread, you might need to loosen the starter to get the passenger side header up there.

Don
Old 09-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info Don. That definitely helps.
The only issue I'm worried about now is the EGR hookup touching the spark plug wire.... how do you plan on getting around that now?
Old 09-28-2009, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

I am not sure yet.

I have some leftover stuff I used on my plug wires on my old firebird. It was a V-6 and was always burning the rear plug on the passenger side. After I put it on there it never did it again. I will have to dig it up and see if that will work...

Don
Old 09-28-2009, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Guys,

I called Texas Speed and they said with my setup everything should bolt up with no cutting. So I went back under there tonight and took the advice from another post and band clamped a couple of the Y-piipe fitting together so it was nice and tight. Next I attached the I-pipe and the over the axel pipe went in with a little help from a rubber mallet..Now it is time to put the rest on and see what I need to adjust.

I appreciate all the posts and help..

My setup - Pacesetter LT, Texas Speed ORY, Magnaflow 16723 Catback. I will post pics when it is done...

Man yesterday I could not get it to fit worth a darn and today it come together...

Thanks

Don
Old 09-28-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sometimes the coating on the headers is a little thick and you can't slide the y-pipe on easily. Just a few taps with a rubber mallet should help out.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by intense3123
Sometimes the coating on the headers is a little thick and you can't slide the y-pipe on easily. Just a few taps with a rubber mallet should help out.
I had that exact problem. I took the advice from another post and applied a little anti-seize on the collector and it was a lot more manageable.

Thanks

Don
Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Here are some pictures. I haven't clamped everything together yet. I hurt my back last week and am working on it at a snails pace...hopefully tomorrow I will finish it up. I have some adjusting to do on my tips. The right side sticks out farther than the left side. They are the Dual tips, and it is noticeable.

I guess my biggest question is how much space did you leave on the drivers side between the Y-pipe and the floorboard..?

Sorry these are not that great...it turns dark too early nowadays.

Merge

Drivers Side

Most of Y-pipe

Passenger Side

Feel free to post anything you see I am doing wrong.

Oh ya, Yes I am paranoid..Jack, jack stands and ramps :-)

Thanks

Don

Last edited by donman; 09-28-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks great so far , cant wait to hear how it sounds
Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Lookin pretty good so far! Look forward to hearing how it sounds and runs.
Yeah I do the same thing with the jack and stands when I'm gonna be under the car shakin things around. Better safe than sorry.

Keep us updated.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
looks great so far , cant wait to hear how it sounds
Originally Posted by haddockWS6
Lookin pretty good so far! Look forward to hearing how it sounds and runs.
I'm with these guys. I'd love to hear how it sounds as well.

This past winter we installed Jet Hot LT's & ORY, and Magnaflow Catback on a friends 98 Z28. It sounds awesome, but the Jet Hot ORY doesn't have the Flowmaster Merge Like the new TSP ORY. So I'm really curious if it sounds any different. I'm sure the merge on the TSP ORY flows way better than the one on the Jet Hot, as well. We may have to upgrade to the better merge for this coming winter's project. LOL
Old 09-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What size are those band clamps?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

I got those from Jegs...

555-30733 3" PREFORMED BAND CLAMP

They were $7.99 each

Don

Quick Reply: Pacesetter LT, Texas Speed ORY, magnaflow