Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How high to get engine out from bottom.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How high to get engine out from bottom.

I'm just wondering if it is possible to remove the engine from the bottom of the car without a lift, just on jackstands?

It seems that pulling it from the bottom seems a lot easier than from the top...

Thanks for any info.

Tommy
Old 12-02-2003, 08:40 PM
wrencher

Pull it from the top with only jackstands.
When I pull them thru the bottom I put sub frame(K) & motor trans on floor dollie & lift car up from it.
How would you support all that weight & drop it to ground?
+ having about 4 ' of clearance at least!
Old 12-02-2003, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wrencher
How would you support all that weight & drop it to ground?
+ having about 4 ' of clearance at least!
Don't know! That's why I'm asking

I thought maybe you could support the engine with a cherrypicker, unbolt the k-member, etc... and drop it down. Guess not.

I think the real issue is making my garage bigger, and getting that lift I always dreamed of

Tommy
Old 12-02-2003, 10:57 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It can be done on jackstands, but you'll need the really BIG industrail jack stands, the 6 ton ones.

A buddy of mine did it in his garage. Backed the car up on driveup ramps, and then jacked the front in waaaaaaay up while the back tires are still sitting on the ramps. Gave plenty of clearance, and he rented a palet jack for lowering/raising the motor. I'll be doing this next time I swap motors.

josh
Old 12-02-2003, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

It takes about 34" uunder the radiator support to get it out the bottem on a table jack with the engine and k-member still together. Get some oak planks, good jack stands and a 1000 # table jack from harbor freight and it will be a breeze.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:00 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a cart I made out of wood (2x4's and 4 casters) to set the K-member with the motor and trans still attached on and rollit out from under the car. Jack stands under the rear axle or ramps under the tires. Using the engine hoist to lift the body off of the motor and K-member is one of the best ways I've done it. Then just roll it out ofcourse I am making it sound that easy but it is much easier than you think just look at the big picture when taking it apart. Do a search on this there was another post just about a week ago about this same question there was a lot of good help in it including my phone number that I gave for problems that yo might run into. Good luck!
Old 12-03-2003, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for all the advice! That is exactly what I was looking for. I'm not going to tackle this quite yet, but I just wanted to get a solid idea of what I needed before I tried. Thanks gain! This site is truely invaluable.

Tommy