Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 Z cranks but won't start???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Z cranks but won't start???

Any input is greatly appreciated as I am at my wits end with this thing!! I'll go through a brief walkthrough of what has happened so far. Was driving home one day and it started sputtering and lurching like it wanted to die....didn't go away, couldn't accelerate, so I slipped it out of gear and it died. Wouldn't restart. Let it sit there for a few hours, fired right up. Started heading home again and it did the same thing. Would NOT refire after that, even after sitting overnight. Had it towed home. Checked basic connections under the hood, looking for anything disconnected. Found nothing. Started the next day and idled for fifteen minutes!! then went to drive it and it wouldn't budge. Put it in gear, tried to accelerate, and it just dies. Has not successfully started and idled since then. Will occasionally fire and die immediately.
I next tested the fuel pressure (supposed to be 58psi right?), didn't get above 50/51. It fired once and I checked the gauge - 56 psi. Swapped fuel filters, no good. Ordered the racetronix pump/harness, just finished installing it, pressure is still at 50/51. There were already codes thrown from my cam swap, so I am unsure if anything new has been thrown.

Mods: '98 Z, TSP Torquer v2 232/234 .595 .598 112LSA, Dual coil springs, LS2 timing set, LS6 ported oil pump, AIR/EGR delete, MTI lid, Pacesetter longtubes, ORY, dumped SLP LM1, think thats all...

Mods were done about three months ago, no issues until now.
Thanks for any and all input!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Just tried to start it and it fired right up! Idled good and I let it warm completely up, took it up the street to get gas and all was well. Got back home, turned it off, and now it won't start again??? The only thing i did prior to starting it was played with the grounds and checked fuses/relays...? Damn this thing!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Im new to posting on LS1tech but Im not new to the forums....but should I post my troubles somewhere else?? Or do none of the so far 24 viewers have any clue what could be wrong? And by somewhere else I mean another section on this site..
Old 10-08-2009, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

buy a new car
Old 10-09-2009, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

These problems are always a pain to figure out - usually electrical - I would probably start with the BCM and go from there. There's a thread in here about problems with the BCM and how to fix it. Also, check the connections at the PCM - corrosion there has been known to happen and cause these same kinds of problems.

Bird