Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 ws6's or SS guys with LT's and stock catback?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 98 ws6's or SS guys with LT's and stock catback?

I was thinking of taking off my duals and going back to a catback. I still have my stock 98 single outlet exhasust and was wondering how it would sound? Anyone have this setup with a cam?
Thanks
Old 12-04-2003, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have JH longtubes with the stock cat-back. It doesn't sound too bad but does have a definite rasp between 2k - 3k. I installed a cutout which provided 8rwhp/tq over the stock exhaust. Keep in mine that mine wasn't the optional freer flowing cat-back system. I have heard similar systems with a cam and they definitely sound muffled or muted with the stock exhaust.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by a98ws6
I was thinking of taking off my duals and going back to a catback. I still have my stock 98 single outlet exhasust and was wondering how it would sound? Anyone have this setup with a cam?
Thanks
I didn't know WS6's came with a single outlet exhaust...

But anyway, I have the SLP option dual dual on my car, and it sounds pretty good. Put a cutout in there for track use, and you've got the best of both worlds; quiet cruising on the street, and good flow at the track.

As far as flow restrictions, the cutout gained me 9rwhp over the catback itself.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

im gonna be running Pacesetters, 3" ORP, 3>3.5" flowmaster collector, 3.5" cutout and a factory single outlet SS exhaust
I dont really care how it sounds with the cutout closed, as long as it isnt loud. I seriously got tired of the bullets and duals.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Im using my 98 stock single outlet exhaust set up with a 224 cam stage 1 heads , ls6 intake. I only gain 1 to 1.3 mph atbest at the track when i run with the cutout open. Im not running LT though but macs. There is a rasp but as soon as your on it it all but dissapears in my car. Cat back has to be one of the biggest rip offs on the market with the exception of some of the more reasonably priced units. People are willing to pay for sound though, cant blame them im tempted sometimes myself