Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Header install help!

Im in the middle of my header install and got the passenger side header completed and everything put back together over there. But I cant get the driver side header slid up in place. Seems to be hitting the firewall and steering shaft thing. My instructions say that removing the motor mount bolts is the best way but I dont see how its possible to get the two bolts towards the front of the motor mount. Any tips and help would be appretiated, Im in my garage right now trying to figure it out. Sorry if the question is stupid in any parts, Im pretty new to wrench turning.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you tring to put the header in from the bottom? What size tubes are your headers? I was able to slide my 1 3/4 headers in through the bottom with out removing any thing. I would try taking the steering shaft off the rack first before you remove the moter mount.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the answer, were going in from the bottom and not sure the size of the tube size, they are pacesetters. how do you remove the steering shaft exactly?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZachJ03
thanks for the answer, were going in from the bottom and not sure the size of the tube size, they are pacesetters. how do you remove the steering shaft exactly?
There is a bolt that goes through the joint nuckle, pull that bolt out all the way, there is a slot cut in the splined shaft comming out of the rack. Spray it with some PB blaster and then pry it off the rack.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

Alright were trying that now. Not real sure what parts are what on the steering shaft and rack and stuff, but were taking out the bolt that is in the knuckle, and there is a little notch right above the knuckle on the shaft, is that where you pry? Sorry, i hope you can understand my post. Ha
Old 10-19-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

grind down that little block on the back of the motor.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZachJ03
Alright were trying that now. Not real sure what parts are what on the steering shaft and rack and stuff, but were taking out the bolt that is in the knuckle, and there is a little notch right above the knuckle on the shaft, is that where you pry? Sorry, i hope you can understand my post. Ha
You want to pry in between the rack and the nuckle.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02 z/28
grind down that little block on the back of the motor.
I just installed my pacesetter headers three days ago. You don't need to grind anything. Just take off that part of the steering column, it takes like 10 min. Super easy and no grinding. Just one bolt on top and one bolt on the bottom and wiggle it out, slide up the header and put the shaft back in.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

what ever you do...DO NOT TOUCH THE STEERING WHEEL WITH THE SHAFT REMOVED!...
Old 10-20-2009, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Got it on and all bolted up. Anyone else have trouble getting the pacesetter exhaust clamps where they need to be? I cant get them to fit over where the y pipe slides over the headers, and catback. And it didnt fit in there too nicely, pushed my catback back a little, and had to rig one of the exhaust hangers to make it work. Should i pick up some bigger exhaust clamps that will go over where the y pipe slips over headers/catback?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean the u-clamps? Its a little tight to get them over the pipe. Especially at the header. But you should be able to just tap the u-clamp on with a hammer. I just hit the clamp with my palm a few times and it went over.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
You mean the u-clamps? Its a little tight to get them over the pipe. Especially at the header. But you should be able to just tap the u-clamp on with a hammer. I just hit the clamp with my palm a few times and it went over.
Yeah I meant the u-clamps. Ill try tapping them on tonight.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought the cheapest pacesetters you can get and mine slid in with abotu 2 minutes of wrestling with it. nothing removed, shaved, etc. just work with it and theyll go in.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ground the casting tap off my block and the driver's side slid in like butter, passenger side took a little massaging on the floor pan, went in from the top with it and it was fine, no issues on either side clearing the K-member. The clamps are tight, as said before use a hammer to tap them where you want them, they will go.