Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV System from magazine build? Is it OK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCV System from magazine build? Is it OK?

SuperChevy built a budget LS motor a while back that I am linking below. On page 3 it shows a flat valley cover on which they installed a baffled PCV valve in the rear and a breather in the front.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...arburetor.html

The differences between my engine and the one in the link are that my build is a 408 and it has the same carb style intake but mine is the fuel injected version. I have the same valve covers which I do not really want to modify unless necessary. As simple as it looks I am sure there must be drawbacks.. I do not know enough about PCV systems so see any inherent problems. Can someone point out the pros/cons to me please. This is not a daily driver car.
Thanks ahead of time.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Any thoughts from anyone? They welded a baffle under the PCV and I suppose the breather as well.

How about this baffle? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BSP-RP956034/
Kinda hard to tell how big they are and if they would fit.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I've never seen a set-up like that. If they hook-up the PCV valve there will be a vacuum leak. The breather is a very good idea. The PCV is not; unless it's being hooked to a vented catch-can without vacuum.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Turbo Buicks..

Originally Posted by Jontall
I've never seen a set-up like that. If they hook-up the PCV valve there will be a vacuum leak. The breather is a very good idea. The PCV is not; unless it's being hooked to a vented catch-can without vacuum.
used that same type of PCV arrangement 20+ yrs ago. Worked just fine.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. I like the old school clean look of it since the 408 is going into a 69 Camaro. My thoughts are to make sure it is well baffled and if I get oil in the intake insert a catch can between the PCV and the intake.

The engine will be controlled by a 2001 F-Body ECM with a MAP sensor mounted to the intake.

If there is a vaccum leak would the ECM pick this up and throw a code with this system? Do ECMs sense that sort of thing? I am out of my element on this subject. How do I make it where there is no vaccum leak?

Does the fact that the build in the magazine was a carb set-up and mine is a fuel injected engine make any difference? I don't think it would but just asking.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Just use the breather, not the PCV valve or you'll have a vacuum leak.