Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to Cut Welded Y...Ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need to Cut Welded Y...Ideas???

Back when I first started modding, I had my Y welded up to prevent leakage and fix mistakes from a previous exhaust shop. Yeah, it was a great idea then, or what I thought, but now, probably would change my mind on the issue. Now in my h/c swap, I need to drop the headers, but the whole system is welded all the way from header back to just before right over the rear axle.
I have determined on where I can possibly cut the Y just after each header to successfully drop them and keep the rest of the exhaust in tack.
The full exhaust is 3" to the rear with a flowmaster merge bringing the Y together.

What I am looking for are ideas on how to rejoin the 2 cuts so that I can get the exhaust back together without welding......heres what I'm thinkin.....

I saw the some exhaust flanges that have a 2.5 ID and 3 OD. This seems like a possible fix, but not to keen having the exhaust bottleneck from 3" to 2.5" back to 3" right in the middle of the Y.

I also have (2) 3" band clamps, can I cut the exhaust, do what I have to do, then rejoin with some exhaust wrap and band clamp them together?

Once the headers are on, and the I-pipe reconnected to the over the axle pipe, the Y will be lined up with the headers and there is no room for play or movement. Shoot me some suggestions if have some.....other than get a new Y pipe or exhaust, just need some diffrent angles to fix this, thanks guys
Old 11-05-2009, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

If I were you I'd just cut the y like you described. As for reattaching it, take it to Jamie and see if he can weld in some 3-bolt flanges so that it won't leak and is removable next time.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Have v-bands put back on. That way you'll have a leak free connection and will be able to dissasemble it very easily and quickly next time...I'm building my true duals using vbands. Nothing better IMO
Old 11-05-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks Mike, I will probably just do that, he fixed all my exhaust problems before and had him weld it up. I might just band clamp the cuts for now, get it to Norris to be tuned, then get to Jamie for the complete fix with 3 bolt flanges.

Oin8io...what are Vbands, I'll search and see whats up with these?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Ahh yes, V-clamps...Band clamps, yeah I have 2 of them I was going to use to rejoin where I make my cuts. I have already tested them and this helped me determine where to cut. Looks like this will be the plan for now, full speed ahead when I get home tonight. Thanks guys.