Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made my true duals exit the rear.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Made my true duals exit the rear. (clearance pic)

I have debated this for some time. The sound and the drone was about to overcome the need for the power. Well this SOLVED my problem. I still can not believe how much of a change there was. Yea the car is still LOUD and it still has a lot of sound in the car but I can now hear the radio, talk to the person next to me, and talk on the cell phone again. LOL It is NOTHING like it was when it dumped before the axle. Sounds nice clean and MEAN as hell still. I have a 3" X-pipe setup. And instead of spending all this extra $$ I just had two tail pipes made that can unbolt when I want to due to a flange. The x-pipe I had and like many other cars have is untouched. I just extended these two pipes under the axle and out. Now 6 bolts later I can take it off for ease of maint. to the rear of the car or track day to drop some lbs. And it looks a heck of a lot better than I expected. I was real leery about pipes under the axle. But the sound difference I could care less. I LIKE to drive my car again!

Here is the pic asked for to show clearance of the axle. To add to that my car is lowered 1 1/2". So my clearance to the ground will be less than a non lowered car. Also my clearance between the axle will be better.

Last edited by Tim 98z; 12-10-2003 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

welcome to the club of under the axle duals Glad ya like it.

-Sly
Old 12-09-2003, 02:53 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. The flange trick really solves the chasis lift problem. Nice setup.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:30 PM
STF Veteran

Aren't you worried about one of your pipes hitting something in the road being that they are under your axle? Could you not run them over or did you do this intentionally?
Old 12-09-2003, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
Aren't you worried about one of your pipes hitting something in the road being that they are under your axle? Could you not run them over or did you do this intentionally?
Well like I was saying this is the same setup I have had for some time. All I did was extend the pipes. They are not the lowest part of my exhaust. So no i'm not more worried than before. If you run 3" x-pipe setup you have that worry anyhow. But it's not like you will run things over everyday. Atleast I dont have any troubles. If you do than this might not be for you.
Could I run them over the axle? Sure I could relocate all the wiring and things on the driver side and try to fit the pipe there. It has been done. Or I could redo my complete exhaust and run two pipes over the passenger side. Then I would probably have to use 2 1/2 pipe. Or i could do it this way at about 25% of the cost and time. My choice was simple.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice man...Good Luck

Wes
Old 12-09-2003, 05:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been a proud member of the under the axle duals for over a year now!! I highly recomend them

Glad the exhaust is working out
Old 12-09-2003, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

That looks pretty cool, anyway you can get a closeup of the axle so I can see how close it runs? does the axle hit the pipes as it moves up and down?
Old 12-09-2003, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

I can snap you one hopefully in the next day or two. We are having flash floods right now. LOL Just remind me.
I have a good 4 to 5" clearance between the pipe and the axle. My car is lowered also. On the rack i shook my car up and down as hard as I could and never got within about 3" of the axle.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think I may be joining you guys... My dumps before the axle are driving me crazy!!! Way too much interior noise!
Old 12-09-2003, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Magnus
I think I may be joining you guys... My dumps before the axle are driving me crazy!!! Way too much interior noise!
I know your feeling brother. The grass on the other side IS greener.
I liked it before because it sounded just BAD A$$. Now it has the same sound just nicer to me (inside) Trust me try it.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That setup is awesome!! id love to see some pics from under the car.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

I just dropped mine off to have that done also. Going under the axle with flanges to remove at the track or when lifting the car. Only thing that sucks is it was a spur of the moment kind of thing, so the rear portion will have their tips and crush bent exhaust. But, it shouldn't be too bad and I can always remove that section at the track. I'll try and get some pics of it this afternoon if it dries up.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:32 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tim 98z
They are not the lowest part of my exhaust. So no i'm not more worried than before. Ok that makes more sense to me now. I thought that they would be the lowest point on your exhaust.

But it's not like you will run things over everyday. Atleast I dont have any troubles. If you do than this might not be for you. I think that I am safe from running over stuff on a regular basis.

Or i could do it this way at about 25% of the cost and time. My choice was simple.Well I now understand your logic. Good luck with your exhaust. I hope it works well for you.
I wasn't busting on your exhaust. I was just trying to understand what you did and why.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
I wasn't busting on your exhaust. I was just trying to understand what you did and why.
That's cool i was just explaining it better.
And mine is crushed bent also. No biggie to me. The complete setup with mufflers, x, tips, pipe, clamps, hangers, and Labor from the headders back was under $200. Ill live without mandrel bends. All angles are about 30* or less. And I know this will outflow a regular setup even with it being crushed. That's why I went 3" all the way out the rear.
EDIT: updated with a pic for yall to see. See top post.

Last edited by Tim 98z; 12-10-2003 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Pics of mine are up on the site in the sig, under Car Pics.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by quickWS6
Pics of mine are up on the site in the sig, under Car Pics.
Looks good. What do you think of the sound?
Old 12-11-2003, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

I liked the sound from outside of the car better with them dumped. But the sound inside the car is much better. It is actually a little too quiet for my tastes now.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now I want duals under the axle ......I wasn't gonna spend a fortune for them over the axle. Now I am like...."the clearence isn't bad and its really accessible and easy to dismantel is neccessary".....good job Tim. Did you get them done at any old muffler shop?
Old 12-13-2003, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

I would love to see more pics "Tim 98z", that is a nice set-up.

Quick Reply: Made my true duals exit the rear.