Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV system on truck blocks/valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCV system on truck blocks/valve covers?

I am trying to get everything buttoned up on my motor this week so my tuner can come over on Saturday for a test fire, and I thought I had the pcv setup down pat when I went over to my friend's house who has an LS1 and looked at his. His LS1 had a nipple on the driver side valve cover, which ran a hose behind the intake to another nipple on the back end of the passenger side valve cover, and then a 2nd nipple on the passenger side cover (front end) ran to a catch can then to an outlet on the intake manifold right behind the throttle body. Looked simple...Then I went back to my block and noticed my passenger side valve cover has only ONE nipple on it, the forward most one that goes to the catch can. So now I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with truck motors/valve covers. What do you run to the driver side valve cover? I did see an outlet on the intake on the drivers side, about symmetrical to the outlet on the passenger side. Are you supposed to run a hose from the intake all the way to the back end of the driver side cover, and then just run the one hose from the passenger side cover to a catch can and back into the intake?

Pictures for reference:

Passenger side valve cover (only one nipple)

Passenger side cover again, with the catch can

The other outlet on the intake manifold I was talking about

Old 11-17-2009, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed because I have the same system and my engine is consuming tons of oil with no smoke out of the exhaust. One of the things wrong with your system is that you have no filtered air going into the engine. The other is that you are sucking air directly from the passenger side valve cover through your catch can and into the intake with no pcv valve to regulate flow. I connected the pcv valve on the back of the dirvers side valve cover to the catch can and then to the same port yours is connected to on the intake. The hose fitting at the top of the throttle body is what provides fresh filtered air into the engine. I connected it to the port on the passenger side valve cover. I still have excessive oil consumption that I believe is related to the pcv system and am looking for a fix. Hopefully one of the experts will chime in here and help us both.

The other outlet on the intake is for emissions control and should be capped if you have removed the emission control equipment.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Ok I guess I never saw an actual pcv valve on my friend's motor. What does it look like?

And what hooks up to the "clean air" nipple on the TB? Do you have pictures of your setup?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry, no pictures right now. The "clean air" nipple on the throttle body connects to the passenger side valve cover where you currently have the catch can connected. The pcv valve should be in a grommet at the back end of the drivers side valve cover. The hose from the pcv valve should be connected to your catch can where you now have the catch can connected to the passenger side valve cover.

So, run a short hose from the clean air nipple to the passenger valve cover nipple. Then, run a long hose from the pcv valve to the input side of your catch can and leave the output of the catch can connected where it is. At least, that is how my system is plumbed.

Last edited by cacmanjr; 11-17-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: simplified?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Gotcha, so you use both the nipple on the passenger side of the intake AND the metal nipple on the throttle body??
Old 11-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

LOL...hey Nick. I was referencing the post you made on LS1truck and here. We need to make sure we are clear on some things. The motor is an LQ4 with an LS1/LS6 style intake? And are the pics you posted is of YOUR setup, or your friend's you are talking about?

If the pics are yours (and it's an LQ4 with a car intake), then take a hose from the nipple on the driver's side valve cover to the inlet side of the Catch Can. Then take the outlet of the Catch Can to the port on the passenger side of the intake. Run a hose from the passenger side valve cover to the passenger side nipple on the TB. Plug the driver's side intake brass nipple. This can all be done with 5/8" heater hose I presume????

Last edited by TXARKITEKT; 11-18-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Ya those are pics of my setup and its an LQ4 with LS6 intake. And I think I got it squared away from your help on ls1truck haha. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: PCV system on truck blocks/valve covers?