Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing crank pulley

So I have a March UD pulley and I have it installed to the point where it looks like the belt lines up. My problem is when i put the new crank bolt in and go to torque it down the crank moves. This sounds dumb but Im new to this, how do I stop that from happening so I can torque this bastard down?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a 6 speed its easier, put it in 6th gear with the e'brake on. this will lock the motor to the driveline that is "braked"

On the auto its a little more different. You can use a compression gauge adaptor, put not the gauge<, and apply compressed air, about 100 psi to one cylinder to hold the piston down in its bore. You can remove the pushrods to help seal the air pressure, but if you don't feel like doing the extra work when you apply the air pressure to the cylinder you may need an extra hand to help spin the motor over for the air pressure to seal. with the pushrods in it may just take half of a revolution or so to stop the piston on the compression stroke....This is what I did on my auto.....
Old 11-24-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have a 6 speed, sweet so just 6th gear with e brake full engaged? Easy enough, figured it was something stupid like that.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

4th for some reason always has worked best for me. Just keep trying gears till you find one that works best. You might have to chock a tire too....
Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Put it in gear like stated above, and make sure you have the car high enough to get a nice long pull on the torque wrench without hitting the TW handle on the drive way. Torquing to 240 ft.lb. should be no problem then.