Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want a new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want a new exhaust

Hey guys, my names Brent...I have a 2001 trans am 6-speed...a while back, I cut off the exhaust, gutted the cats, and put on some flowmaster single-chambers, car ran like crap and it was loud so I constanlty got pulled over by the police...Now, I put back on the stock exhaust but the cats are still gutted. My car runs very good, but it's incredibly quiet! I'm looking around for a new exhaust. I'm looking for something that's going to be quiet but perform well. I would like it to be quiet while normal driving but loud when I get on it (WOT) if there's an exhaust like that. I can buy new cats if you all think it's necesarry to keep it reltively quiet. (high-flow or stock?). Any suggestions will help! Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Magnaflow is what I would go with. I had to switch form Magnaflow to Spintech because I was tired of my truck being quiet. I loved the spintech and thats whats goin on my car soon.

Magnaflow is rather mellow at idle but when u give it gas you know its there (14x9 I believe it was)
Old 12-02-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hooker or Magnaflow is what I would go with if I was you.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id go with true duals all the way out the back with magnaflow mufflers. that would be pretty quite and super loud at WOT!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:31 PM

So for true duals, I would need an x-pipe I assume? And do you think I should get some high-flow cats, or would it be pretty quiet without them if I ran it all the way back?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

xpipe or hpipe

i think with stock internals...you'll be plenty quiet without cats.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are a true dual guy than I would go that route. It looks like a lot of people have worked around any clearance problems.

Another option is the GMMG exhaust. With long-tubes and cats, it is relatively 'quiet' with stock internals. Just a nice mellow sound..of course at WOT the decibels jump..but not at an ear-breaking level.

As you add Heads/Cam the rumble sound at idle and cruise has a nice mellow tone.

Overall, my opinion along with others is very subjective. Only you can decide what you like. People (including myself) generally like and defend whatever set-up they currently have.

Whatever set-up you choose, you might consider some high-flow cats. That seems to be trick to mitigating the sound level. It still sounds nice, and you can generally avoid the attention from law enforcement. I have been running my set-up over 5 years and never have been pulled over for any noise violation.

Just giving you another option. Good luck in whatever set-up you choose!

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 12-03-2009, 01:58 PM

Hey guys, I really appreciate the input! Being that my car is totally stock (except a custom tune from a friend) would catalytic converters even make a difference in how my car runs? Or just in how it sounds? Because when I gutted them, I couldn't tell much difference in how it ran, good OR bad.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

Cats won't make that big of a difference on a stock car power wise. As for mufflers, I have a Hooker Aerochamber, its quiet just cruising but gets loud at WOT. I love the sound. A friend of mine had Magnaflows on a stock f body and it sounded kinda pissy when it wasn't at WOT.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi2Slo
Cats won't make that big of a difference on a stock car power wise. As for mufflers, I have a Hooker Aerochamber, its quiet just cruising but gets loud at WOT. I love the sound. A friend of mine had Magnaflows on a stock f body and it sounded kinda pissy when it wasn't at WOT.
X2

My hooker is "quiet" at part throttle and screams at WOT. Good price and one of the best flowing.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:28 PM

Hell when I had no mufflers at all, just cats, it sounded good, not loud, but deep tone...I've been thinking about replacing my gutted cats with either new high-flows, or stock ones from a junk-yard, and putting a cut-out after the y-pipe before the rear axle...I would imagine it would sound about the same as it did when I just had cats and no mufflers. Just been afraid that my car would lose power.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

My exhaust is also decently quiet at part throttle and screams at WOT (In my sig).
Old 12-03-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's a sound clip of my old setup. It was PaceSetter LT's, Off-road Y-pipe, and a Magnaflow catback.

As you can tell, it's got a mellow idle, and throaty (first rev is about to 2,200-2,500) at lower RPMs, then screams at higher RPMs (second rev is about 5,000)

Hooker is also another catback that is comparable to the tone and sound of Magnaflow.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a cut out,

btw this guy is selling one....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...c-cut-out.html

lol
Old 12-03-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by teletwang
Hell when I had no mufflers at all, just cats, it sounded good, not loud, but deep tone...I've been thinking about replacing my gutted cats with either new high-flows, or stock ones from a junk-yard, and putting a cut-out after the y-pipe before the rear axle...I would imagine it would sound about the same as it did when I just had cats and no mufflers. Just been afraid that my car would lose power.
Why not just get some LT's and a ORY if you don't need emissions? Save the $$$ and time of messing with the stock manifolds and save up for some pacesetters.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

here's mine: longtubes, no cats, magnaflow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsuOG-lXZ4

it's very mild just cruising even with longtubes. WOT though it's uhhh..."aggressive" hehe
Old 12-03-2009, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

slp lm1 is fairly loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25VLT7v0Doo
Old 12-05-2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
here's mine: longtubes, no cats, magnaflow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsuOG-lXZ4

it's very mild just cruising even with longtubes. WOT though it's uhhh..."aggressive" hehe
Good grief, your car sounds beautiful man! What kind of magnaflow is that?
Old 12-05-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a cutout. I have a DHM electric one. I love it, I can be loud thru the cutout or quite thru the flowmaster catback. I eventually want to get a new catback, flowmaster sucks, its rusting already. I dont even close mine unless I come home late.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by teletwang
Good grief, your car sounds beautiful man! What kind of magnaflow is that?
haha thanks! it's magnaflow part #15684. best part is i only payed $50 for it.