Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solid motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default solid motor mounts

i have poly motor mounts now and im thinking of switching to solids, had to get the poly's since my motor was going all over with the stock mounts, poly's worked great now i am going to get a turbo and need room to clear the 4" dp that i want to install, what solid motor mounts do you guys use and how would it be different than the poly's big difference??
Old 12-04-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spohn, it will be a noticeable difference
Old 12-04-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think spohn is the only one who make solid motor mounts
Old 12-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice i'll be saving weight
http://www.spohn.net/shop/1998-2002-...or-Mounts.html
Old 12-04-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

just ordered mine, hopefully they wont be super punishing lol, anybody have any input on them being recommended with a poly trans mount? ive heard nothing but bad things about them giving awful vibrations and cracking tailhousings not to mention the current all motor lsx record holder is running 9s on a stock rubber mount
Old 12-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Teching In

i might have been told wrong, but i was told that if you run solid motor mounts, and you hit something like a gigantic pothole you could crack your block...

i dunno
Old 12-05-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by st-customs
i might have been told wrong, but i was told that if you run solid motor mounts, and you hit something like a gigantic pothole you could crack your block...

i dunno
Umm..your suspension should absorb the impact...i mean thats what its for, right?
Old 12-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Teching In

I didnt like the qay it sounded when he told me this...
If it were true, they wouldnt make 'em...
the car has suspension...

your right it didnt sound right, but it just seems plausablefor some reason.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey guys.. Both my f-bodies have spohn solids and I love them. Now, if you are a cry baby about small vibrations then these are not for you. I have commented on other threads about this and people just tend to think that I am lying about how good these mounts are. I dropped a significant amount of e.t with these mounts, but then again my stock ones were bad already but still. Yes, your car has a little more vibration but it also has it's benefits. Yes, YOU MUST run a poly trans mount. But what I really like about them is that it raised my engine about 1/2-5/8" higher. It is nice to have that clearance on the bottom with these messed up roads here in the dfw. Now for the bad.... You lose clearance uptop when doing a spark plug swap. It is tighter and harder mainly on the passenger side. The only other thing Is the very small vibration it has. Now when installing these make sure you start all the bolts on both sides before completely tightening them. If you try and do one side at a time you will no get them to lign up at all. This includes the upper bolts to block also, just start the bolts and lower it and align them. After they have all been started then you can start tightening them all up. I hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^why must you run a poly trans mount?
Old 12-06-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

if you dont allow some flex you will break the transmission housing. Heat makes metal expand. also that poly absorbs vibration that would otherwise tear things apart. And just to make a third reason, its what the cool kids do.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I really like mine, it seems there is less vibration. I wouldnt know they were there if I didnt put them on myself. I'm not saying yours will be like that, just my experience. You may actually feel less vibration than the polys, some reason they seem to transfer more vibration to the car to me. I might be numb to it as my car is fairly rowdy.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by youguessit
if you dont allow some flex you will break the transmission housing. Heat makes metal expand. also that poly absorbs vibration that would otherwise tear things apart. And just to make a third reason, its what the cool kids do.
LOL!!!! im gonna just leave mine the stock rubber mount and see what happens, ive heard too many bad things about the poly trans mounts.