Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals QuestionS....

Old 12-13-2009, 04:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation True Duals QuestionS....

Hey everyone...got 1998 Z28 camaro 6 moths ago, the car is stock...now the SES light is on i think bcoz of a cloged muffler...i was planning to TD it and i think its time lol, i have some questions to ask you guys as its my first time TD a car....

can i run stock manifods with the TD with H or X pipe till i get a good deal on some headers? will it give any gains? will it sound good? which is easier an H or X?

should i run 3" or 2.5" am not goin crazy with it since its a DD car i might get a mild cam some time later...

i live in the middle east so getting a brand muffler is kinda expensive and hard to find can i run local made mufflers or its bad?

stainless steel or aluminiumzied iron? (its VERY hummid here but no rain or snow)

am probably gonna do it my self, mufflers shop suck over here is it a hard job to do? ill start working on it after 2 weeks so i need your advises and info.... thanks in advance
Old 12-13-2009, 04:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-pics-too.html
Old 12-13-2009, 04:14 AM
TECH Addict

I read that already but can i run them on tock manifolds till i get headers??
Old 12-13-2009, 04:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i would think so.... but i'm no genius on the matter...
Old 12-13-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say you can but why not just wait to you do headers that way the system will be fab'd up for headers instead of the stock manifold's. I know you hate to wait but patients is the key. Do it right once and don't worry about it again IMO.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

loool so true abt the i cant wait part but seriously car is runing like crap with the exhaust on! ill do it just for fun lol ill see wt i can do and post back so is the H easier to make or the X? one more thing...whats the size of the stock manifolds outlets?! thx
Old 12-13-2009, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Yes you can run TD's with your manifolds but its going to be very hard to weld it all together up inside the bottom of the engine bay. If you need to get rid of the stock muffler so your car will run better just take a cut off wheel and cut if off. Then you can run a straight pipe for a while and see if you like the loudness because thats what it will be like with TD's. Once you get headers just do the whole system, I also doubt that you will get 3" TD's I had mine made with 2.25" pipes which was hard to get it over the axle.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I bet it doesnt have a clog muffler, there is something wrong with the car.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Get long tubes. Especially if you plan to get a "mild cam" in the future.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

no theres nothing wrong with my car lol the muffler on my car is the V6 muffler i think the previous owner had it on bcoz they r very strict about loudness in here but i got that figured out i knw some ppl will let it pass...the problem is finding parts! thats why i asked abt if it fits stock manifolds...i think ill just fabric the pipes till i get the headers and i think 2.5" is gna b alright then thx all ill update this if i got eveyrhting worked out
Old 12-17-2009, 03:19 AM
TECH Addict

hey again..so first thing is getting the mufler off i cut the pipes ill b removing it to night just wanted to show u guys how did it sound with no muffler on...sorry for the low quality video its just my fone and it was early in the morning so i did it fast tell me what do u think...its a lil bit loud but honestly i like it and yea never mind the dirts it rained 2 days ago lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_YXrE1i_0k
Old 12-17-2009, 03:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man.. Do yourself a favor and at least buy a set of mac mids.. They are very cheap and will help a LOT over stock manifolds.

The H will be easier to do I believe but IMO the X sounds better and gives a better HP increase. Or you could just do straight pipes dumped before the axle, that would be very easy. I would try to at least get some bullets, or better some knock off 1 chamber Flow Masters.

2.5" will be plenty for what you are wanting.

Again, I would HIGHLY suggest getting some headers.. If you want to wait you will be fine like that.. We cut off my buddies stock muffler right before the axle while waiting on his exhaust setup to come in. It has been almost 3 weeks now and 0 problems.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:28 AM
TECH Addict

yep thats exactly wt am planning ill wait till i get everything ready and ill go dumped its easier and ofcourse headers its useless with no headers on...thx

Search this Thread