Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting new headers

Old 12-15-2009, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting new headers

I've got a set of Pacesetters on my car from when I bought it. I've accumulated fast intake and 243 heads and going to of course change the cam. Would I benefit from changing my headers from the pacesetters to say a set of these edelbrocks on sale or a set of kooks perhaps. I'm not sure exactly what makes headers better than the next pair so I'll just leave it up to y'all and see what y'all would do?
Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can get another set of headers cheaper, then do it, but I have the pacesetter ceramic coated headers and i do not this they are my limiting factor. Usually I believe the other brands that have bigger tubes....1 7/8 vs the pacesetter 1 3/4 usually provid a little more top end power, maybe 5-8 rwhp, but the cost may not justify doing the swap.

I'd say spend the money somewhere else, maybe more suspension mods? or driveline? look into some weight reduction as well, bmr k-member? fiberglass hood. alld that saves quit a bit lbs. the k memeber will take off 30lbs off the nose and the hood if you have a stock steel on will also save 30lbs, this will all aid in traction and more all around acceloration
Old 12-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Banned

Well you could benefit from the longevity of stainless steel over coated mild steel, get 1 7/8" or even 2" vs. 1 3/4", have a velocity merge collector/spike with stainless clamps vs. well nothing on the pacesetter...thats a brief ARH (American Racing Headers) vs. Pacesetter comparison. Though you will pay almost 1.5X as much for ARH vs. Pacesetter to obtain these features I believe it could possibly net you another 8hp-15hp max depending on your supporting mods. If it were my money I'de keep the headers and spend my savings on rear-end upgrades or nitrous. Consider what you want to do in the future with the car...if you come up short of a decision on buying replacement headers vs. expense...seek out Nitrous Daves instead? Lol

Last edited by 2TightwadsRacing; 12-15-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just bought the edelbrock headers, they are stepped with a high velocity merge collector, if the rest of your exhaust is free flowing, you will pick up power, if not, then the stepped feature is negated, that said, you could sell your pacesetters for alittle less than what the edelbrocks are on sale for.

are your headers now ceramic coated? youll loose that but the edelbrocks have titech coating, which ive heard mixed reviews on it, some say its so hard they couldnt scratch it, some said it was soft....
Old 12-16-2009, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

There not coated, I don't really have a budget, but at the same time I don't want to spend $700 bucks just to say oh, I've got "X" headers but they really don't make a difference in power. I'll be running a fairly free flowing exhaust but I am installing cut-outs to totally remove that factor of it.

I'll be running a fast 90/nw90, 243 heads, cam...Don't want headers to be the reason my power maxes out.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Also, I plan on getting a bmr K-member. Already have lower control arms and relocation brackets, and torque arm.

Definitely plan to do rear-end, but I'm just going to wait to blow mine first. Might as well get every last mile out of it.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by STFU racing
Also, I plan on getting a bmr K-member. Already have lower control arms and relocation brackets, and torque arm.

Definitely plan to do rear-end, but I'm just going to wait to blow mine first. Might as well get every last mile out of it.
don't wait to blow it..there is always someone who needs a cheap good 10 bolt, sometimes you can make $400 of a 3.42 gear rear end.

plus having a better rear won't leave you stranded somewhere.

Search this Thread