Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me with my shopping list

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me with my shopping list

I want to get Pacesetter LT headers for my 99 Formula. I was looking at texas speed & performance website and noticed they have Coated headers with or without smog for $375. The Y-pipe is also another $125. My question is which do I want smog or no smog?

Also do I need 02 sensors if I am going to run HF cats? Here is my ultimate goal:

LT headers into a Y-pipe fabed with a pair of highflow cats (I don't want the smell or the exceptional loudness catless cars have). Then they run into my I-pipe with my Dynomax bullet in it. I want to run my car without throwing any codes and able to pass a sniffer. So if I use cats do I need 02 sensors still or do the cats make them obsolete?

So I know right now my list is:

Pacesetter LT headers (smog or no?)
Pacesetter ORY (or should I have a shop fab me a Y with my cats?)
(2) Carsound or randomtech HF cats

What else do I need? Or is that all I need. I have never done headers before so I'll be calling on help from relatives but I want to make sure I have ordered everything I need before I do. I don't want to get into the install and have them say "where is this bolt, that compound, this gasket or that sensor". In other words please help me be prepared.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-16-2003, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darrensls1formula
My question is which do I want smog or no smog?

Also do I need 02 sensors if I am going to run HF cats?

I don't want to get into the install and have them say "where is this bolt, that compound, this gasket or that sensor". In other words please help me be prepared.

Thanks in advance
The smog question is up to you...if you plan on doing an A.I.R. delete in your tune, then I guess the smog wouldn't be necessary. Check your local laws for the type of emissions inspection required...if it's a visual check, I wouldn't remove the AIR system. As for the 02 sensors, you can do a rear O2 delete in your tune and, consequently you wouldn't need the rear pair of O2 sensors, but you will still need to retain the front pair of O2 sensors. I don't have any experience with the Pacesetters and what they include, but you will need gaskets (GM manifold and AIR seals if you go the smog route) and I'm assuming O2 harness extentions. You can reuse the factory manifold bolts. I don't think I'm forgetting anything, but those more experienced please chime in! Hope this helps...
Old 12-16-2003, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

As far as I know northen Illinois only does a OBDII hook up. I know that I do not need to have cats but in my case I want to have cats. So as far as A.I.R. goes I don't know if I want it or not. What is it?

Will it be easier to install the ones with smog or without?

Thanks for your help
Old 12-16-2003, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

if u have obd 2 hook up testing it doesnt matter, get them deleted from the computer, egr and air, and u can still pass, just have to pass a visual inspection but u can bs inspectors so damn easy, except me i know what im doin lol. hell i tricked the NC DMV officer...
Old 12-16-2003, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

pacesetters came with everything i needed, bolts and all. i needed nothing else...

get the smog ones IMO. i ordered the ones without it and got the ones with it, i was real pissed but then i thought about it. if i cant pass inspection down the raod with these, when i dont do it and i dont know anyone, i dont wanna switch all my exhaust out. if u have a 01-02 with no egr vavle get the no smog ones cause most people dont even know what the smog pump is on there. the new pacesetter ory is a lot better than the old one, and fits up there good too. i would get that if i were u. i have pics if u wanna see
Old 12-16-2003, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its up to you all the way, if it were me I would probally get the ones with the A.I.R so I wouldnt have to worry about inspection. Good Luck
Wes