Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LPP header and TDs install, Pics & Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My LPP header and TDs install, Pics & Video

Well the headers and TDs are on the way. Should be here Tues.

So far the removal of my SLP headers and Y-pipe has ben lots of fun (Scarcasm). Cutting out the Borla catback took all of about 3 hours. Had to use 2 sawjazal blades and a dremel to cut the 3" tubing. The y and cats came off fairly easy with some help from block of wood and BAH.

On to the headers. This was a bundle of joy. Started removing the passenger side header last night. Got all the bolts out except for one. Rounded it off. So today went to get some bolt extractor sockets, well they didn't work either, imagine that. So had to bring out the ole dremel and grind that F'er off. After about 30 minuets of grinding finally got it out.

So now start the removal of the header. I must have fought with that damn passenger side header for 2 hours. First had to remove starter, that got it a little closer to coming out. So then decided to lower k memeber on that side. So lowered a little bit and low and behold the F'in header is now wedged between the k-member and the inner fender. Could budge that sucker. So am thinking what now, so tried dropping the k-member some more and it freed it up. But to know dramatic ending finally got the SOB out after dropping the k-member all the way and working it just right, slid right out (scarcasm). Felt like crying once it fell out. Now on to the driver's side, Yeepy! God I hope the LPP go in alot easier. Will be postig picks off the install and a video. Have only seen one video of this setup, am sure people are curious to the sound.

Last edited by LeftySS; 01-03-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry you had so much trouble getting them out. If it makes you feel any better, you could just buy a Vette and do the entire job from start to finish in around 3 hours.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BRIAN98Z28
Sorry you had so much trouble getting them out. If it makes you feel any better, you could just buy a Vette and do the entire job from start to finish in around 3 hours.
Yeah would be nice to have a vette. Maybe one of these days. Only problem is, if I had a vette wouldn't have the money for the headers.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BRIAN98Z28
3 hrs to do what? Took me several hours to get my headers and xpipe on. Didn't have access to a lift though.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:31 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jack that thing way up in the air and go in from the bottom. Always worked well for me. The FLP's dropped in from the top with no issues though.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VeTTeMaNC486
3 hrs to do what? Took me several hours to get my headers and xpipe on. Didn't have access to a lift though.
Done it in 3 hours on jackstands.....it's fairly simple. Course....I've done a few of them so I know the fastest way, and all the sizes of sockets and what not. lol
Old 12-20-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

subscribed to seee how the headers go in
Old 12-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Please tell me you're not taking them out from the top. If so, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. The LPPs slide in nicely from the bottom just be sure to put the jack with a block of wood under the collector on the drivers side after you get the bolts started. Put some pressure on the header and tighten the bolts up the rest of the way.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigtymer386
Please tell me you're not taking them out from the top. If so, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. The LPPs slide in nicely from the bottom just be sure to put the jack with a block of wood under the collector on the drivers side after you get the bolts started. Put some pressure on the header and tighten the bolts up the rest of the way.
Hell no! There coming out from the bottom. The SLP's just didn't come out as smooth as they went in, Passenger side. Had driver's side out in 15 minutes. The LPP's will be here tomorrow. It will probably be after all the holidays before they go in. Going to do motor mounts and do some cleaning and painting under the hood while they are out of the way.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any updates for the install? Anxious to see the headers installed. Thanks
Old 12-27-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is some info on my LPP headers I installed. If you want any more info, let me know. I would get them again, fit great now.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...some-pics.html
Old 12-27-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will do, thanks.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

Well after laying under the car the last 2 days install the motor mounts, headers and TDs it looks like everything is going to work pretty well. The install went pretty smooth except for all the grinding I had to do to get the stock clam shells apart and the grinding on the k-member and drivers side motor mount for the header to fit. Really didn't have to take out that much material just tried to do it a little at a time, and had to take the header out about 5-6 times before finally getting it to fit without touching anything. Passenger header went in easily with the starter and k-member dropped on that side. Don't have everything buttoned up on the TDs but got to fire it up and it sounded good. Not near as loud as my catted y with Borla fully open. Got pics and will post up soon. Man that stainless looks good.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Here are a few pics of the Headers and TDs system. One thing to point out is that even though this is a Catless system there are rear O2 bungs welded in for either a Wideband or if you have cats installed. Thought that was nice. Don't have real great pics of everything installed. They were taken in a hurry and am now out of town. Will get some better ones when everything is finished. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails My LPP header and TDs install, Pics & Video-lsxtrme-049.jpg   My LPP header and TDs install, Pics & Video-lsxtrme-039.jpg   My LPP header and TDs install, Pics & Video-lsxtrme-071.jpg   My LPP header and TDs install, Pics & Video-lsxtrme-072.jpg   My LPP header and TDs install, Pics & Video-lsxtrme-070.jpg  

Old 12-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Launching!

odd you had to grind, mine went in like butter and when i say butter i mean easiest header install ive ever done.. need a sound clip!!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah I have heard some people have to grind or dent the primaries and some don't. I was hoping for the later, but didn't happen. Oh well, got it done.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have any exhaust leaks? I got the headers and y-pipe set up from them so it might be different but all the connections on my y-pipe had slits in the pipe so I had to use Accuseal clamps to get them leak free. The band clamps I had wouldn't seal tight enough on the smaller side to stop the leaks
Old 01-02-2010, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
Do you have any exhaust leaks? I got the headers and y-pipe set up from them so it might be different but all the connections on my y-pipe had slits in the pipe so I had to use Accuseal clamps to get them leak free. The band clamps I had wouldn't seal tight enough on the smaller side to stop the leaks
Which clamps are the accuseal clamps? Got any pictures? The clamps I got with the kit are the ones in the pics, with the big and small ends. Like you said, the small side doesn't want to pull up tight.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are those clamps in your pictures the ones that came with the headers? Mine came with the stupid u bolt ones, i had to go out and buy band clamps
Old 01-02-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

how much better could it be, i love ur setup bro.