Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant sludge everywhere..

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coolant sludge everywhere..

I read coolant sludge is pretty common in our cars... Question i have is this suppose to be everywhere??? and this thick?
Im doing my H/C swap right now, replacing all gaskets.. will this help reduce sludge? ls1 how to recommends ls6 PCV conversion to help with this issue but can we go without? I got a little parionoid after seeing this, Im thinking i should replace all the hoses and start fresh... any ideas?

Old 12-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When Dex goes bad it's brown and looks more like mud. The color of this makes me think it's a little Dex mixed with some green or yellow stuff. I would replace all hoses just because their cheap and you might as well anyways, and then do some major flushing.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the power steering cooler and make sure it's not leaking into the coolant. I think that's what it looks like when it does.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they say after a couple years dex cool sludges up an turns to almost jelly type form
Old 12-27-2009, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justin455
When Dex goes bad it's brown and looks more like mud. The color of this makes me think it's a little Dex mixed with some green or yellow stuff. I would replace all hoses just because their cheap and you might as well anyways, and then do some major flushing.
Yeah, since the engine is pretty much taking apart, im just going to purchase all new hoses just so i can sleep better at night. I will do the complete flush. Ive seen a few good write ups on here from LS6427!

Originally Posted by Gatsby
Check the power steering cooler and make sure it's not leaking into the coolant. I think that's what it looks like when it does.
How would i know if the Power sterring cooler is leaking? If im going to buy new hoses should i just get a new cooler as well?

Originally Posted by SScamaro4
they say after a couple years dex cool sludges up an turns to almost jelly type form
Well, i hope thats what it is and not a mixture of oil from somewhere

Im pretty much going to replace all the hoses, find out how to check the PS cooler and go from there. Ive never seen this type of sludge before from my previous cars..

Quick Reply: coolant sludge everywhere..