Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 vs LS1 exhaust manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 vs LS1 exhaust manifold?

So I currently have the stock T/A LS1 exhaust manifolds on the engine (like the ones in the link below.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...#ht_500wt_1182

A friend of mine said he had some LS6 exhaust manifolds I could have, I thought they were the Stainless steel tubular ones but they are a cast type manifold (pictured in the link below.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-L...s#ht_886wt_882
Old 01-01-2010, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont quoute me on this, but I think the stainless manifolds are on 98-99 and switched to the cast iron in 2000-02
Old 01-01-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are only LS6 exhaust manifolds for C5 Vettes, not F-Bodies...they won't fit your car without major crossmember surgery.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Teching In

This motor is in my RX-7. I just want to know if the power add is worth it? I still have to have the exhaust done.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Berto
This motor is in my RX-7. I just want to know if the power add is worth it? I still have to have the exhaust done.
You missed my point...the geometry and location of the outlet flange is in a very different location on the Y-body manifold than the F-body piece you're currently running.

How much trouble with the different outlet location cause you?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crainholio
You missed my point...the geometry and location of the outlet flange is in a very different location on the Y-body manifold than the F-body piece you're currently running.

How much trouble with the different outlet location cause you?
You missed my point. I am not asking if they fit, I am asking if anyone has an idea on what the power gain is.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You missed my point. I am not asking if they fit, I am asking if anyone has an idea on what the power gain is.
First of all, are you talking about the C5 Zo6 manifolds pictured in the row at the top in your second link or the LS2's in the main picture of that link? I have mentioned a couple articles in magazines in a few of my previous posts that might help if you can find them. They don't give a direct comparison, but they might give you some idea. One is Jan '05 Car Craft..comparison of F-body to '04 GTO (pictured at upper left of your second link) and also headers. April '05 Hot Rod... company called Katech dyno'd then "new" Ls2 manifolds (main picture in second link) compared to C5 Zo6 manifolds and headers. There is a thread right now in the Gen lV External Engine forum titled *Best Flowing Cast Iron LS1/2/6 Exhaust Manifolds* by **jweb47**. In it is a post by **Paul57** that has a link to a reprint of the Car Craft article. I personally have a set of the C5 ZO6 manifolds on a 6.0 Gen lV engine in a '34 Ford street rod and I prefer them to headers because of less noise and vibration and I still have the heat shields on them because of the close confines. Makes a BIG difference. I can also say ,it runs REALLY!! good. Hope this helps, Ron P.S. the Katech article showed the ZO6's better just about everywhere over the LS2's.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

I understand now, thanks for clarifying. Doesn't matter if they'll fit your car, you're just magazine racing for ha-ha's.

For those of us with cars, the ability to actually use them takes priority over power gains. My apologies for assuming you had a car.

Quick Reply: LS6 vs LS1 exhaust manifold?