Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real world power difference from 3"y to 3"td

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Real world power difference from 3"y to 3"td

Currently I have a full stock 3" exhaust system going into a borla cb. I was thinking td and going with lpp. Now my issue with it is the lpp td come as 3" and I dont wanna lose power in the lower rpm. 3" td is really big unless im makin 600-700 hp.How much will I lose down low going 3" td from stock 3" y?

Im looking for an answer other than "not much" - "go 2.5" or "do a search" I know what the options are I just want to hear an experienced answer
Old 01-03-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see why you would lose power, why do you think that?
Old 01-03-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

you won't lose power....you probably won't make more in the low end either.

but top end will flow better...3" TDs are not too big.

curious what you mean by "a full stock 3" exhaust system"....since stock IS NOT 3"
Old 01-03-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

u will lose power going from singe 3" to dual 3+3, its too much and u might not need unless u have plans of making 600+ in future.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Won't see a noticeable difference.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

if you do a 3" x pipe with mufflers i don't see how you would lose any power though. in fact, i gained power according to my track times switching from a 3" y / borla catback to a 3" x pipe dumped set up.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by teke184
you won't lose power....you probably won't make more in the low end either.

but top end will flow better...3" TDs are not too big.

curious what you mean by "a full stock 3" exhaust system"....since stock IS NOT 3"
Yup my bad I forgot its 2.5 or 2.75 cant remember.
I wont lose low end tq going that big?

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
u will lose power going from singe 3" to dual 3+3, its too much and u might not need unless u have plans of making 600+ in future.
Thats what I thought but my question is how much will I lose? I know its a question not alot of people have answers for except the guys who have done this and compaired.

Originally Posted by hlaalu
if you do a 3" x pipe with mufflers i don't see how you would lose any power though. in fact, i gained power according to my track times switching from a 3" y / borla catback to a 3" x pipe dumped set up.

Really? So when you installed the 3" td did you do any other mods or a tune? Did you happen to do a dyno so you could compair y-pipe over td?
What was your track time ypipe vs 3" td?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how would you lose power going from stock to td's!?! thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard! if this is true someone please explain!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vteckiller
how would you lose power going from stock to td's!?! thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard! if this is true someone please explain!
read the whole question and it will make more sense.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oic. You might lose low end power but the gain in top end power would make up for it. Plus you can't beat the sound of td's!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Junkie

i went from a cammed engine, with LTs, orp and a dyno-mouth cat back.....to 3" xpipe with straight pipes (hurricane coming...hadn't ordered mufflers yet).

ran it for 6 months like that.

i couldn't feel ANY loss of low end power. car would still run perfectly (albeit loud) around town and down the highway in high gear at 1200rpm. car would still accelerate just fine...considering the low rpm.
car was noticably stronger in the upper rpm.

when i finally put mufflers on...no difference other than sound.

everyone says you'll lose power in the low end. but nobody ever proves it. then again everyone SAYS you'll lose power in the low end with a ported FAST 90/90 on anything less than a full h/c engine....where i proved that WRONG!

the problem with proving a low end loss is that most dynos don't read below 3000rpm (or aren't read). so nobody ever gets a reading for what the car is doing at 1500rpm.

my guess is at worst you'd lose <5 hp and torque. nothing you'll ever feel or notice. you'll have gained it back by the time the engine is in the main powerband.

but my honest opinion is that you won't lose anything, what likely feels like a loss of power is probably a shift in power.
when the LS1 came out everyone was convinced the LT1 made more power down low. but it was just that the LS1 made so much more power up top it made the bottom end feel sluggish.

perception is not proof
Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by senicalj4579

Really? So when you installed the 3" td did you do any other mods or a tune? Did you happen to do a dyno so you could compair y-pipe over td?
What was your track time ypipe vs 3" td?
I'll have to check my slips to get the exact diffference, but it was at least a 10th and 1mph.

No dyno, although I would like to see a chart too.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

This is all I could find

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t19596/
Old 01-04-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not really sure what you meant by 'full stock 3inch' but I can tell you I didn't notice and real difference in power. I had a catted 3inch ypipe into a dual/dual SLP catback and switched over to TSP TD's dumped at axle. I don't have any times to back this up but I didn't notice any extra power down low or up top. IMO the sound is worth it though. It for sure sounds alot faster.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vteckiller
oic. You might lose low end power but the gain in top end power would make up for it. Plus you can't beat the sound of td's!
I like the way you think buddy. I wonder how much power I would lose though.

Originally Posted by teke184
i went from a cammed engine, with LTs, orp and a dyno-mouth cat back.....to 3" xpipe with straight pipes (hurricane coming...hadn't ordered mufflers yet).

ran it for 6 months like that.

i couldn't feel ANY loss of low end power. car would still run perfectly (albeit loud) around town and down the highway in high gear at 1200rpm. car would still accelerate just fine...considering the low rpm.
car was noticably stronger in the upper rpm.

when i finally put mufflers on...no difference other than sound.

everyone says you'll lose power in the low end. but nobody ever proves it. then again everyone SAYS you'll lose power in the low end with a ported FAST 90/90 on anything less than a full h/c engine....where i proved that WRONG!

the problem with proving a low end loss is that most dynos don't read below 3000rpm (or aren't read). so nobody ever gets a reading for what the car is doing at 1500rpm.

my guess is at worst you'd lose <5 hp and torque. nothing you'll ever feel or notice. you'll have gained it back by the time the engine is in the main powerband.

but my honest opinion is that you won't lose anything, what likely feels like a loss of power is probably a shift in power.
when the LS1 came out everyone was convinced the LT1 made more power down low. but it was just that the LS1 made so much more power up top it made the bottom end feel sluggish.

perception is not proof
Good answer. Let me ask you something about the shift in power your talking about....My car put down 315 hp to the wheels at about 5500 rpm. If I had a shift in power by going to the 3"td....would my highest hp# be higher than 5500 rpm? Or would the engines higher hp stay at 5500 rpm?

Thanks bud. its deff a improvement.

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
Not really sure what you meant by 'full stock 3inch' but I can tell you I didn't notice and real difference in power. I had a catted 3inch ypipe into a dual/dual SLP catback and switched over to TSP TD's dumped at axle. I don't have any times to back this up but I didn't notice any extra power down low or up top. IMO the sound is worth it though. It for sure sounds alot faster.
It sounds that much better huh? I like the sound of that!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

i'm not saying you WILL have a shift in power, but its likely. could be you shift the peak up 500rpm.
you'd have to be really tuned in to feel that in real life though.

as for that article posted...i couldn't quite tell what the guy was going FROM and what his power levels were.
seemed decieving to me.

i mean, i wasn't aware that v8 mustangs had Ypipes...i thought they were all some form of true duals.
he lists having a v6 in the car at one point, maybe those had a ypipe. in which case he may have not been putting out much power.

true duals over a ypipe setup on a 200hp engine probably won't yield much. but do the same thing on a 350hp engine and its a different story.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I like the way you think buddy. I wonder how much power I would lose though.

Good answer. Let me ask you something about the shift in power your talking about....My car put down 315 hp to the wheels at about 5500 rpm. If I had a shift in power by going to the 3"td....would my highest hp# be higher than 5500 rpm? Or would the engines higher hp stay at 5500 rpm?

Thanks bud. its deff a improvement.

It sounds that much better huh? I like the sound of that!

i think you should dyno this, we need some hard data here
Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

that was on a v6 stang?