Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cat back exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cat back exhuast

does anybody have this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...Q5fAccessories how is the fit and finish and sound thanks
Old 01-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

notice the 98-02 f-body exhaust on a pre 98 f-body...
Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Teching In

dam just noticed i might have to keep looking any other recomendations for exhaust
Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

For the money I figured I couldnt go wrong with this one so I bought it. Had it for about a year so far and love the sound. Has an old school muscle sound at idle. Its deep and throaty at WOT, and low cruising noise. Just trying to help out. Theres several out there and this is my third setup. Im not changing again cause I'm very happy with this setup. Still havent decided on tips though.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30419/10002/-1

Here's an idle/rev clip on my car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsm7cUZM_ZY
Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

I say if you have the money do borla. I have it and love the sound.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

i also have and recommend Borla. Pricey but the sound is good, i see some pop up cheaper on craigslist sometimes.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

For cheaper, brand new, Magnaflow is always good. Don't buy a SLP if you have long tubes and a ORY pipe...but with factory manifolds and cats, a used SLP wouldn't be too bad.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:51 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Kinda liking the sounds of the Jegs kit up there... Thanks for posting that video as it is the first time I have heard it.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

That Jegs exhaust sounds wayyyy to "hollow" I guess I would call it. I'm going with a Hooker cat-back and cutout this summer.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
For cheaper, brand new, Magnaflow is always good.
Agreed. Magnaflow is a great sounding catback. Stainless Steel and reasonably priced.

Don't buy a SLP if you have long tubes and a ORY pipe...but with factory manifolds and cats, a used SLP wouldn't be too bad.
I would have to disagree with this. Some guys like the the obnoxious sound of the LT/ORY/Loudmouth (2). As has been stated many times, exhaust note is a matter of opinion.

Also there's no reason you would have to use an ORY. I have Jet Hot's Catted Y and LT's mated to LM1 on my Firebird. And, while it is definitely loud, I like it. And so may the O.P.

One more thing, as well. SLP has had its PowerFlo Catback available for sometime and I've heard great reviews from people using it. So please don't simply rule out all of SLP's options.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Eh, I was just speaking on my experence with my exhaust. I know opinions differ, so I was just stating mine. I love how much you can hear my lope through my exhaust, but it rasps and drones horribly. I do love the raw sound under WOT at 5-6k rpms though, that is for sure. But cruising at 2100 sounds like *** IMO. The ORY statement...that is what I was implying, but didn't further state it. LTs with a catted Y would lessen the rasp considerably (or so I have read...not a lot of cars with that set up around here), so then it could sound good. But a catless Y pipe with the LM=horrible rasp.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:59 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wytry
That Jegs exhaust sounds wayyyy to "hollow" I guess I would call it. I'm going with a Hooker cat-back and cutout this summer.
I'm thinking that's what I was liking about it.It sounds like a chambered (flowmaster) sound.And with the cam thumping along, it reminds me of an old school muscle car.. Matter of opinion I guess!

Originally Posted by Mumbles

One more thing, as well. SLP has had its PowerFlo Catback available for sometime and I've heard great reviews from people using it. So please don't simply rule out all of SLP's options.
Isn't that the one that is basically the "dual/dual" catback that was on Firehawks and optioned SS Camaros? If it is, I can say that it is one quiet system...sounds great but VERY quiet and refined. My Camaro was optioned with the SLP DD.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jccz28
dam just noticed i might have to keep looking any other recomendations for exhaust
A couple examples...

Magnaflow catback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4LB_UEmNl8

Hooker catback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaDNo...eature=related

Both good catbacks and sound good
Old 01-12-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Eh, I was just speaking on my experence with my exhaust. I know opinions differ, so I was just stating mine. I love how much you can hear my lope through my exhaust, but it rasps and drones horribly. I do love the raw sound under WOT at 5-6k rpms though, that is for sure. But cruising at 2100 sounds like *** IMO. The ORY statement...that is what I was implying, but didn't further state it. LTs with a catted Y would lessen the rasp considerably (or so I have read...not a lot of cars with that set up around here), so then it could sound good. But a catless Y pipe with the LM=horrible rasp.
Didn't mean any disrespect and I hope I didn't offend you. I should have read your sig and I would have known you're sporting the LM. The LM catbacks get alot of bad press and I guess I thought your comment was another one of those. I totally agree that ORY+LM is not my favorite sounding setup. Like you said, just stating my opinion.

Originally Posted by MJK
Isn't that the one that is basically the "dual/dual" catback that was on Firehawks and optioned SS Camaros? If it is, I can say that it is one quiet system...sounds great but VERY quiet and refined. My Camaro was optioned with the SLP DD.
You're right the Dual/Dual from SLP is one of the quietest (and best flowing) catbacks that came on these cars. But, no, the Powerflo Catback was introduced a little over a year ago (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on how long its been out.) It adds a small "Powerflo" muffler into the exiting piping just before the tips. It has a very mellow tone and has been claimed to eliminate rasp. Here's a link...

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...83&BIG=31083-1

...take a look.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Borla gets my vote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Teching In

thanks evryone for the replies i will check all these out
Old 01-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That looks like a loudmouth copy. I'd guess it's pretty loud, put it on a car with a cam or heads and it will get really loud I'd guess.

Cheap enough though
Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Didn't mean any disrespect and I hope I didn't offend you. I should have read your sig and I would have known you're sporting the LM. The LM catbacks get alot of bad press and I guess I thought your comment was another one of those. I totally agree that ORY+LM is not my favorite sounding setup. Like you said, just stating my opinion.
No harm no foul