Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Pedestal Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Pedestal Question

Engine is out of the car and updated the mounts and painted. THought I would just go ahead and refresh the pedestals also, but cannot find the torque specs for the bolts. I have looked at the different locations like How to LS1, but am not clear on which spec is correct. Any help would be appreciated. Also, is there any thing I should be careful of... it looks pretty simple to R & I.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Are you talking about the pedastal to Kmember bolts? Or the bolt that holds the mount in the pedastal?
FWIW if your new motor setup is making a lot of power you should consider motor plates as some high hp motors have been known to make the bolt holes in the block out of round.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

How do you freshen a pedestal?
Old 01-16-2010, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been about a year ago when I had the pedestal out of my buddy's 98 Z28.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure you can even get a torque wrench to fit in there well enough to get a decent torque setting on the bolts.

I'm pretty sure I used a wratching open end/box end wrench to snug the bolts and then a regular box end to get them as tight as a could by hand.

His motor hasn't fallen out the bottom of the engine bay yet. So it seems to have done the trick.

If you're still interested in having the torque spec, I'm pretty sure my Haines Manual for the car has it. Its a little late at the moment, but I'll check in the morning and post it then. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
How do you freshen a pedestal?
Prep and paint....
Old 01-16-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mumbles
It's been about a year ago when I had the pedestal out of my buddy's 98 Z28.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure you can even get a torque wrench to fit in there well enough to get a decent torque setting on the bolts.

I'm pretty sure I used a wratching open end/box end wrench to snug the bolts and then a regular box end to get them as tight as a could by hand.

His motor hasn't fallen out the bottom of the engine bay yet. So it seems to have done the trick.

If you're still interested in having the torque spec, I'm pretty sure my Haines Manual for the car has it. Its a little late at the moment, but I'll check in the morning and post it then. Good luck.
That would be great! The bolts will be easy to torque b/c the engine is out of the bay. Thanks for the help
Old 01-16-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUEBYU
That would be great! The bolts will be easy to torque b/c the engine is out of the bay. Thanks for the help
BLUEBYU...

Sorry, man. Apparently I'm a liar. I looked all over my Haynes and Chiltons Manuals this morning. The only spec I could find that had anything remotely close to what you need is the Motor Mount Retaining Bolts Spec 37 ft. lbs. I believe this is the torque setting for the four bolts that hold the clamshell to the engine block.

Again, sorry to get your hopes up and then not deliver. I guess you'll have to try a search. When you find out, you should definitely post up. Because I'd like to have these numbers for future reference.

Gool luck, man.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

I believe I found the rating at 43 ft-lb.

Quick Reply: Engine Pedestal Question