Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maf flow question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maf flow question

I have a 2002 camaro with 402 ls6 intake, ported tb and just installed a truck 80mm maf(going to get it tuned when taken out of storage), the reson i put the truck maf is i could not see the original maf flowing enough air for the 402, if you take in consideration the size 75mm the surface erea of the sreen(i had taken out a screen out of a old one i had before and compressed it togheter and made a 1 inch square solide block restriction) pluse that solide bar of aluminum going trew the center of the maf, it may be 75mm but there is not mutch room for air flow, has any body ever flow tested the factory maf's?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

any body? i would have taught some body would have done some kind of test.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ran my factory maf just a bit under the 500whp mark on a turbo 347
Old 01-17-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally I think you could gain more by changing your ls6 intake and going to a fast even with the stock maf.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

i kno lots of you's are making 500rwhp with the stock maf, i'm just saying that the opening on the ls6 intake -the tb-and the maf are all about the same size, but the maf with the screen and alum. bar has a lot more restriction in that same 75mm hole where the intake is 75mm hole with no restriction and my tb ported and half trottle shaft dose not have mutch restriction either, comparing the 3 seems the maf would be the bottle neck efect you's talk about. that why i asked if any body had flow test to justify my concern.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

it's just that i'm use to the small block chevy and carb systeme and cfm of carb size to make a certain hp levels, that why i was curiouse about flow.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

The truck MAF is actually 85mm. The 85mm MAF sensors will flow right at 850cfm with the screen in tact. The stock 75mm MAF sensors flow around 765cfm with the screens in tact. The flow increase of the 85mm MAF sensor is usually good for 3rwhp and 3rwtq on a stock LS1. May be more or less depending on cubic inch of the motor etc.

MAF sensors will flow more with the screens pulled out, but I'm totally against pulling the screen out! Those screens are in there for a reason and that is to straighten the airflow out so that the sensor can correctly read the airflow. I've compared a screened MAF to a de-screened MAF and the datalogs will show huge spikes in frequency with the de-screened MAF sensor. Not saying it's imposible to get one to run right with a de-screened MAF but it's not optimal.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes 85mm, my mistake, thats the info i was looking for(cfm). i did leave the screen in, figured it would screw the reading of the maf, the sceen is not there to straightend the air for the intake, its there to straightend the air acrosse the resistance on the maf the have a constant reading without turbulance. thanks
Old 01-19-2010, 12:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Right thats what I meant, the screen is there to straighten the air for the reading... it works too cause I've got both a screened MAF and a de-screened MAF and the de-screened one runs like poo and is nearly imposible to get tuned.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
Right thats what I meant, the screen is there to straighten the air for the reading... it works too cause I've got both a screened MAF and a de-screened MAF and the de-screened one runs like poo and is nearly imposible to get tuned.
What about the c5 z06 maf that doesn't have a screen from the factory?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Maxlean
What about the c5 z06 maf that doesn't have a screen from the factory?
as GM tunes the car with a different reading from the factory, once again it's all in the tuning. the MAF is extremely touchy in any car. once fucked with you best be know what your doing, especially far as tuning is concerned.