Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mass air, bellow size question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mass air, bellow size question

i have a ported 90mm intake and throttle body that are 92mm's now. my question is, is there any benifit of going to a bigger mass air, and also any benifit in getting a smoth below? i can see the smoth bellow but mass air? OR, is it better to go speed density? this motor setup im running right now will be NA. thanks guys for the opinions......
Old 01-19-2010, 04:38 AM
TECH Addict

in order of flow...

SD > 85mm MAF > stock

when you talk about a smooth bellow, you will need to find piping obviously large enough to fit over the TB, which shouldn't be a problem at your local Home Depot, etc.

Now if your are changing your MAF up you will most likely want a tune when you get a change as it may need to be recalibrated
Old 01-19-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea i realized the car would need tuned but i guess what i was looking to find out was is it a sagnificant HP gain by changing those? really, ( and ill prolly get yelled at for this statement ) if its only a 5HP gain is it worth spending all the money for it?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

I found my 85mm MAF on ebay for $30. If you look hard enough you can find one for super cheap. Also, ther is a SLP smooth bellow knock off on E-Bay for around $35 if you were looking for one. I think the Fernco (home depot) bellow is a POS.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

agreed! the fernco is trash...thanks for the reply
Old 01-19-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

the main thing that you're doing by opening up the MAF inlet size is increasing flow. IT specifically is not necessarily going to give the hp/tq difference but how much the increased flow will accommodate and help out incoming air CFM wise for the rest of the induction system... if you desperately need some numbers I'm sure they're all within a range of 1-5rwhp/rwtq difference

Quick Reply: mass air, bellow size question