Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help with gauge install

Ok i am installing a air/fuel and trans temp electrical gauges. Well the air/fuel will be no problem, but when i got the trans temp it says i need two sources of power and 2 grounds...im guessing one is for the sender and one is for the lights. But i guess my question is does both of them have to be on a ignition switch or just one? Thinking about tapping into the headlight switch for one but dont know which one it is...found everything else i need through searches except this. Just got me confused on 2 different powers. The air/fuel only needs one.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99corvette
Ok i am installing a air/fuel and trans temp electrical gauges. Well the air/fuel will be no problem, but when i got the trans temp it says i need two sources of power and 2 grounds...im guessing one is for the sender and one is for the lights. But i guess my question is does both of them have to be on a ignition switch or just one? Thinking about tapping into the headlight switch for one but dont know which one it is...found everything else i need through searches except this. Just got me confused on 2 different powers. The air/fuel only needs one.
You should look at a wiring diagram before you start tapping into the powers and grounds to make sure your headlamp switch wiring doesn't run through the BCM.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BaddBird
You should look at a wiring diagram before you start tapping into the powers and grounds to make sure your headlamp switch wiring doesn't run through the BCM.

Oh alright. I dont get why it would?? Or how it would effect anything. Maybe you can elaborate one thatf or me. I do not know a lot about electrical. I just saw on one of my searches where someone else did that.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh alright. I dont get why it would?? Or how it would effect anything. Maybe you can elaborate one thatf or me. I do not know a lot about electrical. I just saw on one of my searches where someone else did that.
What car are you working on 99corvette or the fbody in your sig? If you tie into a circut that runs through the BCM and your gauge shorts out you will pop your BCM. But hey its your ride.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BaddBird
What car are you working on 99corvette or the fbody in your sig? If you tie into a circut that runs through the BCM and your gauge shorts out you will pop your BCM. But hey its your ride.

Alright i gottcha. But if it is ran to the fuse panel..wont it pop the fuse first??
I am working on a 2002 Camaro. Will it hurt to run all 3 power wires to the same spot in the fuse box or will that overload it?

And one more thing. I heard of people getting there power from the cig. lighter, but mine works all the time not just when the switch is on...

Last edited by 99corvette; 01-24-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=99corvette;12792845]
Alright i gottcha. But if it is ran to the fuse panel..wont it pop the fuse first??
Yes on the power side of the circuit. But if you tie into an existing ground circuit there is no fuse to pop.What I m getting at is it is better to run a new ground circut. Tie them both into one new ground.

I am working on a 2002 Camaro. Will it hurt to run all 3 power wires to the same spot in the fuse box or will that overload it?
I would run the both lights on one key hot power source then run the gauge on another.

And one more thing. I heard of people getting there power from the cig. lighter, but mine works all the time not just when the switch is on..
You need to use a key hot circuit.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:43 AM
10 Second Club

alright thanks. im thinking about grounding them under the hood where there is already a few grounds mounted. Will that be fine?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

alright thanks. im thinking about grounding them under the hood where there is already a few grounds mounted. Will that be fine?
That will work.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

alright got just about everything installed. one problem though. the trans temp gauge reads max temp. as soon as i turn the key over??
Old 01-24-2010, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

i figured it out. i had a wire crossed