Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks Y-pipe

Alright guys im getting some Kooks 1 3/4 headers. I am wondering should i get the Kooks y pipe? Or have one done at the local shop? Any of u guys got pics of them on your car and how is the fitment. I want something not to loud due to the MS4 i have. Thanks- Mike
Old 02-04-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Kooks Y a few years ago and am happy with it. It is the non catted version and was about $300. It is 304 stainless and has a pretty good merge. In the future I plan to lop off the end of the Y (where it restricts to under 3" and run a new tube to the cutout. Alternative is having a reputable shop in the area fab one up with a flowmaster (or simular) merge. Only thing with that is you are depending on the outcome. If you get the Kooks you know what you are getting.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssgunny
I bought a Kooks Y a few years ago and am happy with it. It is the non catted version and was about $300. It is 304 stainless and has a pretty good merge. In the future I plan to lop off the end of the Y (where it restricts to under 3" and run a new tube to the cutout. Alternative is having a reputable shop in the area fab one up with a flowmaster (or simular) merge. Only thing with that is you are depending on the outcome. If you get the Kooks you know what you are getting.
What do you mean? The merge sucks?

I got a flowmaster merge on the way, then it should be tight.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joblo1978
What do you mean? The merge sucks?

I got a flowmaster merge on the way, then it should be tight.
I don't think it sucks it is just not the best. There are better out there. My understanding of an optimal merge is having the pipes running parallel prior to the merge (as in the ARH Y version). The Kooks forms a "V" which causes the gases to collide. I got a deal on the headers and is why I went with their Y.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Well I got two y pipes just laying around. There were on pacesetter headers. Would it be haRd to fab it to make it fit the kooks?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what kind of merge this is Mufflex told me it was a "prototype" when I got the exhaust. This is similar to ARH's though.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SLICK_LS1
Well I got two y pipes just laying around. There were on pacesetter headers. Would it be haRd to fab it to make it fit the kooks?
I guess that and the costs involved depends on the talent of the shop making it fit.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Has anybody done it before? If so can I get pics and is it a bitch?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssgunny
I don't think it sucks it is just not the best. There are better out there. My understanding of an optimal merge is having the pipes running parallel prior to the merge (as in the ARH Y version). The Kooks forms a "V" which causes the gases to collide. I got a deal on the headers and is why I went with their Y.
You'll love the headers, nice fit and look great.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Agree with ssgunny. I also have Kooks headers and y. It is good, but not quite optimal. Pat G pointed out the importance of a good merge in his 500 rwhp "recipe".

Suggest you quiz your local muffler shop on how good of y/merge they think they could fab for you.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joblo1978
You'll love the headers, nice fit and look great.
You are correct. They were installed last spring and are the third car they have been on. They sound reasonable through the stock SS muffler but when the cutout is open it is a little over the top for the power I am making.
Attached Thumbnails Kooks Y-pipe-passenger-side-header-top-view.jpg  

Last edited by ssgunny; 02-04-2010 at 11:09 PM.