Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust... Plz help a dumbass

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust... Plz help a dumbass

Ok guys for now my car is all stock. I wanna put an exhaust on, but don't wanna break the bank if at all possible. I just want better performance and a better sound.

Now I see the Borla systems and run a cool $950 or so. From what I was reading and seen on youtube The borla xr1 muffler is pretty pimp

I also seen someone on here claim their is not much difference in the piping between stock exhaust and say a magnaflow. Does the stock exhaust have a weak flow point. Is it the y pipe?

I am debating on just putting the borla xr1 muffler on my car... Would that give me what I want or should I just get a full system?

Or if you have any better suggestions to help me get where I wanna get let me know.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the entire stock exhaust is garbage. go look at pacesetter ceramic coated(NOT PAINTED!!) race headers. they are cheap and will boost performance a great deal. also take a look at the pacesetter o/r y-pipe to go with it. getting rid of the cats will greatly increase performance. and as far as cheap cat backs go, mmm maybe an SLP loud mouth 2? TSP rumbler?

here i'll give you some links:

https://texas-speed.com/shop/categor...MID=1&catid=45
https://texas-speed.com/shop/categor...MID=1&catid=46
http://www.lmperformance.com/c/7/1.html
Old 02-05-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The stock exhaust is not mandrel bend which hurt flow and take the advice above. Me I would say get the TSP rumbler and then buy you a Borla XR1. That would make it a borlamouth that way you can be like burger king and have it your way. An then you can get some LT's and Catted or Un catted Y pipe and wet yourself. What do you think?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
The stock exhaust is not mandrel bend which hurt flow and take the advice above. Me I would say get the TSP rumbler and then buy you a Borla XR1. That would make it a borlamouth that way you can be like burger king and have it your way. An then you can get some LT's and Catted or Un catted Y pipe and wet yourself. What do you think?
It'd be a BorlaMouth if he went w/ the LoudMouth and swapped in the Borla. If he got the TSP Rumbler and stuck a XR1 muffler in it, it'd still be a TSP Rumbler since the rumblers come w/ your choice of two mufflers (neither of them TSP brand)

I say if you like the XR1 sound, get a LM system and swap in the XR1 muffler in place of the resonator/muffler. That's what I'm in the process of doing. I also don't believe the Rumbler is stainless steel? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. And the Rumbler tips look like ***, IMHO.

Then get some Ceramic coated PaceSetter Longtube headers (best bang for the buck header) and a ORY, or catted y, depending on your states laws.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gmmg.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he said he didnt want to break the bank best bang for the buck would be the Tsp rumbler.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSickLS1SS
Gmmg.
Yea I say that to but he don't want to break the bank. If ya get a chance check out my thread I started 2.5" X pipe TD into GMMG CB. I love it.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSickLS1SS
Gmmg.
totally agree. cept OP is on a budget.

and with the TSP rumbler u can cut out the bullet and put in what ever else you might prefer. quite easily too, with out worrying about the crazy sideways muffler position. and still be cheaper than a GMMG or borla system.

Last edited by brian_rs/ss; 02-06-2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

I just get confused when people start talking about deleting the cats etc. I am not a mechanic and I don't wanna be wrenching on it all the time. IF ya know what I'm saying.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OP, is this your daily driver? Who will be doing to work on it? If you have no idea on installing headers, deleting cats, or doing a custom exhaust then I would just buy a whole catback system. GMMG is great but it sounds like that may be out of your $ range. I'd get the Magnaflow. DD in Michigan you'll want a stainless steel system IMO. The TSP rumbler is also a great bolt on option, but I'm not sure if it's stainless or mild steel.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

It's my summer cruiser. I drive it a few days a week to work which is about 100 miles round trip.

I got good mechanical friends, just have to work around their schedules. I also have a friend to runs a muffler shop, and he said something about you should not be deleting cats etc. I'll talk to him more in depth when I get an idea of what I want to do.

So basically I want something better then stock, with a good sound, and a noticeable performance upgrade, which can be driven daily. Knowing my competitive side I will want to get the best I can. I can't have no wannabe Vin diesels kicking my ***. I want to at least intimimidate some people... lol

Am I asking too much? lol
Old 02-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Launching!

i would look into the Magnaflow catback system or TSP catback both sound great and are budget friendly
Old 02-06-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by knightryda01
It's my summer cruiser. I drive it a few days a week to work which is about 100 miles round trip.

I got good mechanical friends, just have to work around their schedules. I also have a friend to runs a muffler shop, and he said something about you should not be deleting cats etc. I'll talk to him more in depth when I get an idea of what I want to do.

So basically I want something better then stock, with a good sound, and a noticeable performance upgrade, which can be driven daily. Knowing my competitive side I will want to get the best I can. I can't have no wannabe Vin diesels kicking my ***. I want to at least intimimidate some people... lol

Am I asking too much? lol
ok there's something you need to understand about cats. it's required by law to have them, but there are easy ways around that. if you buy an o/r y-pipe aka a catless y-pipe, a shop can clear the code for you. the benefits being improved performance/sound AND its cheaper than a high flow catted set up. the down side being there is a small chance the state inspection will take a peak under your car and notice they are gone. however this is highly unlikely since the stock location for the cats is not visible, unless u get on your back and crawl under the car. i have been running catless for years in more than 1 car and have never had a problem. and besides even if an inspector does notice, just go find another one...