Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting a DIY smooth bellow...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting a DIY smooth bellow...

I bought a 3" dia rubber piece that is 4" long for about $3 with the intent of switching out my stock accordion bellow for strictly cosmetic purposes and to give myself a reason to spend some time under the hood.

I notice while it fits my stock maf easily, my stock throttle body is far too large to fit. This concerns me. I believe the throttle body is 4" in diameter. I have trimmed the inside lip of the bellow that will attach to the tb and sanded it down so it's smooth. If I have to boil this to get it to fit, I'm afraid I could actually be robbing the car of horsepower if it has to stretch to fit onto the tb. I mean, if the stock one fits fine, would this one be bottlenecking the car?

Any tips on what I should do? I would like to get this piece on my car, as I enjoy free mods like these and might paint it a dark color to match future tasteful engine dress up.

Also, are there actually any free mods worth while out there for my car? I'm waiting on making a deal on a converter now and just want a few small projects to pass the time. It's either this or try to custom make a CAI or exhaust for my Vue XR.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Heat it in a microwave or boiling water for a bit. That's what I've read read.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

That much I'm aware of. I just fear if I have to boil it to get it to fit, could the small diameter actually hurt performance, as the stock one fits easily. *shrug*
Old 02-06-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

home depot pluming dept.,should find something that fits better.or try Air Flow Systems ,the sell a lot of different size.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

I went to Lowes for mine. I think I'll give Home Depot a try next time I go out!
Old 02-07-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reason that the stock one fits easily is that it has one end larger than the other...while i was cleaning under my hood i detached the bellow it was dry i pulled it hard enough to cut it now i have a leaking bellow i tried the rubber like u but i noticed the stock bellow has one end larger i tried to stop the leak for a while till i figure something out...keep this updated i wanna fix mine as well...
Old 02-07-2010, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no you will not be robbing it of hp...the smallest part of the intake track is your restriction and i can guarantee if the bellows fits over the maf then the maf is the largest restriction...i tried the 3 dollar bellows and did not like how it looked, so i did some searching and found a tube connecton that has a 228 bend that works really well...it is like $25...but worth it to me with the fit and better transition...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ee-inside.html
Old 02-08-2010, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

All good information! Thanks!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chrs1313
no you will not be robbing it of hp...the smallest part of the intake track is your restriction and i can guarantee if the bellows fits over the maf then the maf is the largest restriction...i tried the 3 dollar bellows and did not like how it looked, so i did some searching and found a tube connecton that has a 228 bend that works really well...it is like $25...but worth it to me with the fit and better transition...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ee-inside.html
Will that work on a FAST 92 and 85mm maf?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johns00Z28
Will that work on a FAST 92 and 85mm maf?
i dont see why not i am using a 85mm maf and 92mm tb too...it fits alot better than anything else i have seen, like it is made to be in there plus it is nice and easy to trim off the extra length if need be...
Old 02-09-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chrs1313
i dont see why not i am using a 85mm maf and 92mm tb too...it fits alot better than anything else i have seen, like it is made to be in there plus it is nice and easy to trim off the extra length if need be...
Cool thanks...guess I'll be ordering one tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

I finally got around to giving the fit another try. I trimmed and sanded down the side connecting to the tb, and rubbed a little wd 40 on the outside of the tb and got it to fit snugly. It looks pretty nice. I'll get a pic up for the hell of it. Wondering if I should give maf descreening a try while I'm at it...

Quick Reply: Fitting a DIY smooth bellow...