Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More about Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More about Headers

I am putting on new long headers,the o2 front sensor will be in the header.
The rear sensor will be in the ypipe.No cats,just straight thru.
Is that correct?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year? And type of headers? The stock o2 pig tails wont be long enough. Bosch # 13111 rear o2 for a 2000+ corvette will work just fine they have really long pig tails. You put those in the headers, and the stock o2 will work in the Y>
Old 02-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the post-cat O2 sensors may give a DTC light without cats (with or without the O2 sensors/extensions up front). I have high-flow cats (no headers) in the stock Y-pipe and I had to buy O2 sensor simulators (for like $40 each) to get rid of the DTC light. The front O2 sensors still worked fine and the ones now replaced by sims did not actually affect anything, but I could not pass inspection with the light on.

I hope all that makes sense and that the reply actually has to do with your concern...
Old 02-09-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on whether or not the ORY you choose has the Rear O2 Sensor bungs (many do not), you will most likely end up with a SES light whether you install the rear sensors or not.

I have a catted Jet Hot Y-pipe that allowed me to retain my rear O2's, so I did reinstall them. I was hoping this would eliminate the chance of me getting an SES light until I could get a tune to turn them off. I don't get an SES everytime I drive the car, but occasionally it does pop up and give me a PO420 (Insufficient Catalyst Performance). The cats in this Y-pipe are high-flow and much smaller. I don't believe they perform quite as well as the factory cats, so the code isn't really a suprise to me.

My friend and my brother both have ORY's on their Camaros without the rear O2 bungs, so we simply removed the sensors from the car at the electrical connector. They both get an SES light after about twenty miles of driving. I believe codes PO140 & PO160. They also need to get a tune to turn them off in order to eliminate the codes being thrown.

These codes do not affect performance in any way. They are simply there to monitor the temperature of the cats in order to keep them functioning as efficiently as possible.

So if you're going with a catless (ORY) Y-pipe, you're going to get an SES light whether you reinstall the rear O2's or not. My advice would be to remove them from the car completely. Don't waste your time on O2 Sims and use that money to get a Mail-Order-Tune.

Good luck with your upcoming install.