Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR & AIR purpose

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EGR & AIR purpose

This probably belongs in the newbie section but oh well. What exactly is the purpose of deleting EGR and AIR deletion? How does it benefit anything? And why was EGR no longer used on 01 & 02 models?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are for emissions purposes and deleting them just cleans up the engine bay and takes away a little weight.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I know that much. But do they free up any HP? Would it hurt has mileage? And. Will I still pass smog?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't hurt your gas mileage at all. Not sure if you're going to get any hp out of it. I just did mine and my main purpose was to clean the engine bay up and my new LT's don't have those fittings. As far as smog, that depends on how strict yours is. If you just get it scanned, then you will have to have them tuned out. I passed my smog test no problem with them deleted out. Oh and the air pump ways a good 15lbs.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont know about 15lbs. i just took off my air pump and all associated stuff for the air system and weighed itlike 4 or 5 days ago and all of it even the hose connections and everything was right at 8 lbs. makes the bay look a little better.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by caseypryan
This probably belongs in the newbie section but oh well. What exactly is the purpose of deleting EGR and AIR deletion? How does it benefit anything? And why was EGR no longer used on 01 & 02 models?
Here is my take on the whole thing

Purpose of deleting AIR and EGR: Deleting AIR becomes necessary when getting rid of the catalytic converters. The cats aren't a severe restriction, but there is no doubt the exhaust has the potential to flow more if the cats are removed (at what HP/cfm it matters I'm not sure). If you remove the cats and go to an ORY you obviously have no need for the AIR system.
Deleting the EGR rids the intake manifold of exhaust gas, IMO cleaner air burning in the cylinders means a longer lasting cleaner motor plus more oxygen = more power.

why was EGR no longer used on 01 & 02 models?:
IIRC the cams for 01 and 02 cars are ground different than 98-00 cams, which makes them more emission friendly. From my understanding this is why they don't need an EGR system, because the need for the system is eliminated due to the way the cam is ground.

Hope that helps
Old 02-16-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, here is the info directly from the sticky:

EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation - Emissions controll device. Injects exhaust gas back into manifold for re-circulation. Came on 98-00 f-bodies only. Never on y-body or 01-02 f-body due to revised camshafts.

Removal Pro's:
Cleans engine bay, less weight, easier to work on things, pure air > burnt air.
Removal Con's:
Could cause you to fail "visual" inspection depending on how strict your state is. Removing without tuning work will cause Service Engine Soon (SES) light, dead giveaway to inspectors. Sniffer tests could be a problem as EGR cuts down on NOX gasses. Blockoff plates for exhaust manifolds required unless using "race" headers.

Example)
- Texas "visual" - pop the hood, don't look at anything, close hood, $12.50.
- California "visual" - pop hood, tech LOOKS FOR EGR, kicks you in the nuts.

AIR - Air Injection Recirculation - Emissions controll device. Injects fresh air into the exhaust gas before the cats. Helps them heat up to reach "emissions light off" faster.

Removal Pro's:
Weight, clean bay, no more annoying sound on startup, spare rubber hose to use on other stuff.
Removal Con's:
Only worry about VERY strict visuals (read: California) causing failure. Sniffer test can only tell before car is warmed up. After car reaches operating temp, the AIR pump shuts off and becomes useless. SES light will come on if system is removed unless codes are tuned out. Blockoff plates for exhaust manifolds required unless using "race" headers.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:05 PM
12 Second Club

Thannk you guys! Answered exactly what I was wondering. I will wait to remove the EGR when I do my LS6 manifold and the AIR when I do my LT's/ORY. Thank you guys.

Quick Reply: EGR & AIR purpose