Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True 2.5" duals bang under heavy pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default True 2.5" duals bang under heavy pedal

I have LT's and true 2.5" duals on my 2002 WS6 and under heavy acceleration the exhaust pipes hit/bang on the bottom of the car, I have poly engine mounts and that helped a little but not much, is there a universal hanger or such which can give some help, the exhaust places say no but I can't believe that and I was hopeing someone else has been down this road.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

it's your engine-torque causing the bang of the exhaust underneath...
you can dampen it if you put a HD rubber isolator in between. Probably your drivers side hitting. Good luck. (I used to have 3" TDs...LOVED them but my plans for torque arm didn't jive)
Old 02-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Where do you get one of these for our cars?
Old 02-22-2010, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Autozone? Not a car specific one I've got in mind. Just any rubber-type isolator to dampen the noise/shock of the exhaust. Might even get a fire-retardant spark plug boot and put a rubber hose in it with a cable through that with eye-holes mounded underneath. It's a cheap fix, but should work good And when you change exhaust to something else, you can move or remove it
Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Here is what I used on my driver's side and it eliminated the problem.

Mufflex LS1 Y-Pipe "Bump Stop" Hanger

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...mid=75&sid=528
Old 02-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My duals were doing the same thing...instead of buying a that y pipe hanger, that costs a few dollars and waiting for it come in. I just went down to my local muffler man. He put my car on the lift, I got under there with him and explained what was happening. He examined it and made me a custom pipe hanger that bolted to the body on the drivers side and welded to the pipe with a rubber isolator in between. It took 30 minutes and cost 15 dollars parts and labor included! It took care of all my bangin issues
Old 02-23-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

would poly motor and trans mounts help?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
would poly motor and trans mounts help?
Sure they would help but they are a major pain the rear to install and would run you alot more cash and time invested than making a quick stop at the muffler shop to have them rig you up something or buying that part listed above would solve your issue as well. Your problem is very common, Ive owned 7 different 4th gen f bodys all of them had modificed exhaust and 4 of them have had the issue your having.

Just for info purposes i went out and snapped a pic of my simple cheap true dual hanger on my drivers side. Its nothing special. Most exhaust shops carry this type of hanger already, it was cheap as stated less than 20.00 parts and installation included. It solved all my problems on my duals with rattling/banging/rubbing when i get on the gas...
Attached Thumbnails True 2.5" duals bang under heavy pedal-bump-stop-001.jpg  

Last edited by nauticalstar2012; 02-23-2010 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: True 2.5" duals bang under heavy pedal