Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headers what kind should i get

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers what kind should i get

im looking at buying headers and y pipe with cats and maybe slp loudmouths also but idk what kind of headers i should get.

I want it to be loud and sound good at the same time, what kinda set up should i get?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most ppl will tell you to do a search or go to ls1sounds.com an listen. Id recommend doing it right the first time and going with stainless. That is if you can swing the price. I just replaced my rusted uncoated hookers with a set of kooks and the difference is night and day...i had alot of leaks tho in the old ones. The fit and finish is great and that makes the install alot easier. I recommend Kooks or ARH. As for the exhaust I sprung for the slp powerflo...kinda expensive for what you get but it sounds great and with cats im sure it would be even better. Very deep tuned sound but with a touch of rasp which makes for an aggressiveness as well.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 20ws601
most ppl will tell you to do a search or go to ls1sounds.com an listen. Id recommend doing it right the first time and going with stainless. That is if you can swing the price. I just replaced my rusted uncoated hookers with a set of kooks and the difference is night and day...i had alot of leaks tho in the old ones. The fit and finish is great and that makes the install alot easier. I recommend Kooks or ARH. As for the exhaust I sprung for the slp powerflo...kinda expensive for what you get but it sounds great and with cats im sure it would be even better. Very deep tuned sound but with a touch of rasp which makes for an aggressiveness as well.
Nice site, they have almost evey exhaust combo
Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ls1 Havin Fun
im looking at buying headers and y pipe with cats and maybe slp loudmouths also but idk what kind of headers i should get.

I want it to be loud and sound good at the same time, what kinda set up should i get?
Spend the money and by American Racing Headers you will be glad you did years from now when you dont have exhaust leaks.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:30 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ls1 Havin Fun

If you have any questions about our product feel free to give us a call. One of our qualified sales associates will assist you in providing all th information to help you in your buying decision.1 866 586 KOOK. Thanks for looking.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Teching In

I just installed some HOOKER Headers on my wife's 99T/A and they fit great. Slid right in.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For a stainless header system, it's hard to beat Kooks and ARH! We've got a few sets of Kooks on the shelf ready to go, and can have ARH drop-ship them directly to you to save some time if you want to go that route!

We also offer a variety of ceramic coated longtubes including the Pacesetters as well as Texas Speed's own 1 7/8" primary LT's!

We have all of these options priced competitively. Let us know if we can help!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 02-23-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

i went with the TSP 1 7/8 and they fit great..Could not beat the bang for the buck...
Old 02-23-2010, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by fatmat80
i went with the TSP 1 7/8 and they fit great..Could not beat the bang for the buck...
Glad you're happy with them! Did you swap from the stock manifolds, or from another header?

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 02-23-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a set of Kooks on My Hawk and I love them!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

I have pacesetters. They fit great with no leaks at all. But I think I got very lucky. I did weld up everything though. That helps alot.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If would go with stainless if you can swing it.If you plan on keeping your car for a while,
don't buy the cheap stuff.I have Kooks and they kick ***.They were worth the extra money I paid for them.ARH are good too.Do it once and do it right.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I have Pacesetter 1 3/4" Coated ones and they are nice..when it comes time for new ones I'm looking at the TSP 1 7/8" Headers..they will help a little bit.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:03 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

With a long tube its 6 of 1 half dozen another. Just get a decent quality metal. ARH, Kooks or QTP..... and I guess the TSP ones . The only other thing is ease of installation. Most companies have come a long way with their R&D when it comes to fittament. Its rather easy to pick these days as opposed to the limited choices we had in 1998-2001.

Matt - About time someone got a fan page for TSP on facebook! Did Joseph have anything to do with that?
Old 02-24-2010, 04:05 AM
On The Tree

I would get round ones !! LOL
Old 02-24-2010, 09:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Matt - About time someone got a fan page for TSP on facebook! Did Joseph have anything to do with that?
It is about time! It's hard to find time for anyone around here to be able to sit down and do something like that, as busy as we are. I'm sure Potaki has his hands in it.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Broadway
I would get round ones !! LOL
Great input Only if we had D shaped exhaust ports....
Old 02-24-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got squares...
Old 02-24-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was in the same boat as you, ended up ordering some ARH 1 7/8 with cats. Was told it will take about a week to get them to me.
Let us know what you decided on getting and how the installation went.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

My SS head Pacesetter coated LT when I bought it last fall. The performance was okay I guess, but what I didn't like is how low they hung. The drivers side hit a lot. Also, when I dropped the engine, the area around the collector was rusted pretty bad, and this is a Texas car. There was also a leak at the aft drivers side port, I believe the hits caused this. I ordered a set of ARH's on Saturday, from my research, I feel I made a good choice. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails headers what kind should i get-dsc00556.jpg   headers what kind should i get-dsc00557.jpg