Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage irregular

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Voltage irregular

I have notice for some time that my dash lights were dim and the voltage would vary at times below 13 and back up to 14 but most of the time below 13.
I also noticed that my turn signals were really slow and the circuit is complete because the signals both work.

Today I got a car wash and when the engine is over 1000 rpm the voltage shoots up to the red close to 18. My signals work faster and my lights are brighter. When i get down to an idle of around 800 rpm it drops below 13.

When the voltage was up real high it caused a check engine light after a few moments but then disappeared after it dropped a few moments.

The dash gauges all stayed consistent as well as my fuel pressure gauge so it seems I have a problem but I don't know where to start looking and what I am exactly looking for. Anyone have an idea? Thanks!
Old 03-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found it was the regulator stopped working properly inside the alternator. New alternator fixed the issue. Hope this helps someone else