Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 no spark?? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 no spark?? HELP

I have an LS1 stroker 383 with a carb and using an MSD 6010 ignition controller. Engine ran fine, did my twice annual freshen, put it all together and in car, no fire. Checked for spark at the plug wires and no spark...
I have checked every ground, even added 2 more, checked voltage in and out of the cam and crank sensor, 12 volts in 9-10 volts out at specified time (4x per rev on crank, twice on cam). I have changed the crank sensor, ignition box and wiring harness (TWICE). coil packs, re wired the entire car.... changed batteries, still no spark.. cranking rpm is about 200rpm.
Weird thing is I can get spark when the spark plugs are out and engine has no compression?? I have been at this for 4 weeks. Can anyone help or give advise? Some info on the car is it is a road race car with a carburetor and an alternator, no other wires in this thing, no fuel injection. HELP HELP PLEASE...
Old 02-27-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A couple of years ago, that was a common problem with the MSD units. The engine is just not cranking over fast enough for the box to fire the plugs. It might help to put a new starter on the car so it will crank a little faster. You can also call MSD and tell them what is happening. I believe they can update the box so it will fire at a slower cranking speed.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, I am very familliar with the tech guys at MSD. I have tried 3 new boxes, 2 starters, 4 different batteries, 3 different wiring harnesses, 3 crank sensors, 2 different coil packs, oh anyone have a kitchen sink... haha I have tried everything i can think of as well as tested everything. I have 3 of these engines I run in my road race cars. 2 of them have the 58x reluctor and this one a 24x. Only thing I can think of is changing this to a 58x so that they are all the same. I have enough parts and pieces to start a parts dept at a GM dealership. thanks for the suggestion and anyone else please throw em out.

Quick Reply: ls1 no spark?? HELP