Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magna Flow guys

Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Magna Flow guys

I have a magnaflow cat back on my ls1 and i love it. Seems quite at idle but very mean at wot. Are you happy with yours? I really like it. Not as loud as the flowmasters I had on my old l98 camaro but sounds alot better imo. I am planning on getting some long tubes soon. Should sound really evil I hope.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Magnaflow

I have a Magnaflow and really like it. Like you say, a lil quite at idle but really wakes up on accell and WOT.

The long tubes should wake urs up a lil.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought one for my head/cam t/a i cant wait to hear what it sounds like. I had one on my cammed lt1 and loved it, it was quite at idle and had a great sound at wot i also had a cutout for when i wanted to be loud.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My L98 was full bolt on edelbrock headers to flowmasters. Very loud but not a good loud. Probably the loudest exhaust you can get next to an slp system.

Magnaflow sounds soo much better imo. Not too raspy like slp setups.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have LT's with magnaflow on the back with an ORY. I like it because it is quiet so if I want to be sneaky it is quiet and nobody with think differently. Sounds good at WOT to.. then I have my cutout for a little more noise. good choice really.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like it!! but it is still pretty quiet for me. it does sound good though. i have longtubes, ory, and a 230 cam and its pretty quiet. i am planning on getting rid of my magnaflow for 3" TSP tru duals with sweet thunders..
Old 03-03-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I love the tone and sound of mine at WOT, my only beef with this kit, and quite honestly may be the case with others is that it rattles badly, its very annoying I have been under the car 3-4 times adjusting and can't seem to find the problem.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

I have 02 SOM Z28 now and just installed the OBX Stainless headers with a 2 3/4 in Y and resonators. The magnaflow keeps it quiet at idle. At WOT it sounds mean as hell. I had a magnaflow in MY 97 WS6 with jethots and 3 in y and love em. With that being said. I have friends who run other setups, more expensive that sound even better. However, they always say mine sounds better. So to each their own.

Last edited by frack; 03-03-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Teching In

I have a cam, lt's, true duals with an x, and magnaflows and absolutely love the sound! Pretty quiet at idle (since I added the cam its louder at idle but not bad) and ridiculous at WOT but still nice and smooth with no rasp.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002CamaroSS1982
I love the tone and sound of mine at WOT, my only beef with this kit, and quite honestly may be the case with others is that it rattles badly, its very annoying I have been under the car 3-4 times adjusting and can't seem to find the problem.
mine rattles pretty bad too at times usually when i let off the gas coming to a stop is the only time i really notice it. but i love mine, the cannon tips are kinda of a love/ hate thing, somedays they look amazing and others i cant stand them lol. car sounds great on cold starts idling and at wot, but at a warm idle.. man its just embarrassing so damn quiet, hoping longtubes will wake it up lol
Old 03-03-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
mine rattles pretty bad too at times usually when i let off the gas coming to a stop is the only time i really notice it. but i love mine, the cannon tips are kinda of a love/ hate thing, somedays they look amazing and others i cant stand them lol. car sounds great on cold starts idling and at wot, but at a warm idle.. man its just embarrassing so damn quiet, hoping longtubes will wake it up lol
I can tell you LTs do wake it up.. but very little.. more so at WOT so dont get to high hopes ha. Also.. this rattle you guys speak of... is it like when you let off the gas at like higher speeds and can kinda feel and hear soemthing until you get on the gas again? Just wondering because I have that noise and just figured it was my car falling apart so if its just the muffler i will be happy!
Old 03-03-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lambert695
I can tell you LTs do wake it up.. but very little.. more so at WOT so dont get to high hopes ha. Also.. this rattle you guys speak of... is it like when you let off the gas at like higher speeds and can kinda feel and hear soemthing until you get on the gas again? Just wondering because I have that noise and just figured it was my car falling apart so if its just the muffler i will be happy!
aww man.. if it sounds like it does now at cold start with just the cat back with warm idle with the longtubes ill be happy lol guess i gotta get a cutout too .. and yes that basically describes the noise everyone hears haha.. and do you always hear a clunk or a small bang like the pipe hits something when ur cruising and let off then suddenly step on it but hardly accelorate? yeah i think what it is is the over axle pipe hitting the panhard bar because it looks like there is a dent in the pipe there now
Old 03-03-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

You be the judge. It was too quiet for me. Went w/ LM2 and swapping in a XR1 muffler to quiet down the rasp.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

i have magnaflow catback on my car and i love it. a couple of weekends ago i installed a set of lt's n ory and i have to say it made a big difference at WOT, the idle is still somewhat quiet but u can definately still hear it. one thing i will say though is when you to the lt install go ahead and put in new motor mounts

but other than that i love my set up
Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

It really depends on your mods, and sound is subjective. With my setup the magnaflow was extremly loud and raspy and I had to go another route. It sounded good before heads/cam and increased compression though.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ that was vid with longtubes? if so ory or catted. and idk if i want to go catted or ory, becausei heard magnaflow is very raspy without cats
Old 03-03-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those clips are PaceSetter LT's and ORY. Magnaflow is the ONLY catback I think that DOESN'T have rasp w/ LT's and no cats. I had ZERO rasp w/ mine.

I've heard it gets loud w/ a cam though.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:22 PM
MASS seller approved

i didnt like mine my car came with it and i threw it away my slp dual/dual sounds 100x better and i still havent opened the cut outs i thinks its pretty loud as is but my neighbors would really be bitching if i opened the cut outs if there dog keeps waking me up i just might
Old 03-03-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love mine. I had it on my LS1 and it sounded great with just the cat back. Now the car has a HCI 402 with pacesetter long tubes and the Texas Speed catted y, and it sounds even better. Not so loud I get pulled over but loud enough to turn heads.

Before the engine was broken in it was louder. I was just going to put a glasspack in as a resonator, but now it is a nice rumble with a little bit of thump.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
aww man.. if it sounds like it does now at cold start with just the cat back with warm idle with the longtubes ill be happy lol guess i gotta get a cutout too .. and yes that basically describes the noise everyone hears haha.. and do you always hear a clunk or a small bang like the pipe hits something when ur cruising and let off then suddenly step on it but hardly accelorate? yeah i think what it is is the over axle pipe hitting the panhard bar because it looks like there is a dent in the pipe there now
Ha im kind of relieved then... I thought it was my car dying! I think I have heard the bang like once or twice.. not to much. Some people think it is quiet and it is.. but I like that. With the cutout and such I get some drone so it is loud I would say and you cant hear much. So i like it quiet sometimes if I have the girlfriend on long drives. Also it is quiet so all of the mustangs dont think you have anything then you just flip open the E-cutout and watch there faces change as they here the lope of a cam. plus like people say I dont think there is any rasp.

Search this Thread