Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Dual Question

does any one have any pics of a true dual system with tailpipes on it still that go all the way to the bumper? im trying to fugure out how im going to make mine. ive heard of ppl running the passenger side under the axle but i think that would look to tacky. any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 03-07-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ozzman98
does any one have any pics of a true dual system with tailpipes on it still that go all the way to the bumper? im trying to fugure out how im going to make mine. ive heard of ppl running the passenger side under the axle but i think that would look to tacky. any help would be appreciated. thanks
SCroll to the top of this forum where it says STICKY...and read the TD thread, there are countless pictures in that thread
Old 03-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Where does it say sticky? cant seem to find anything that says sticky. do u have a link i could go to? thanks
Old 03-07-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't look tacky under the axle. I actually prefer it that way. I don't have any good pictures of the setup on my Trans Am. But, here's what it was like on my Camaro. Esentially the same setup on both cars, but the Camaro only has 2.5" pipe, and an X instead of H pipe. I also had the mufflers moved back on the Camaro a little further, because I had problems with ground clearance when they were under the seat.

Before I had the mufflers moved back:

Last edited by tspence45; 03-07-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Mine is under the axle on both sides as well. Haven't had a problem with them at all. And my exhaust is 3" all the way back.
-Joel
Old 03-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Tspence. that helped alot. when ur mufflers were before the axle, did u have a lot of scraping with the clearance? thats my other concern. mine will be a full 3in.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

I did on the Camaro. But, on my Trans Am, I had them put right under the axle and haven't had a problem. I might have scraped them once since getting it done.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Under the axle and works great.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
Under the axle and works great.
Does that have clearance issues? It looks like it does.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

I also thought about getting TD's for my CME but I'm afraid it won't fit unless I get the panhard bar kit, which is extra money I do not want to spend.

Would I be better off buying a ARH Headers/Y-pipe kit?
Old 03-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Well I just made mine. I went ahead an just did turn downs before the axle. No exhaust shop would touch my car to make tail pipes cause I don't have cats. But it sounds good. Went with a pair of thrush mufflers an it sounds really good. Thanks for all the help
Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by xZZx
Does that have clearance issues? It looks like it does.
The only thing that would bother me in that pic is the fact that you can't drop the Rear Axle. I'm sure you can put some Bandclamps on it, but if you get airborne kiss that Exhaust goodbye..lol

Originally Posted by ozzman98
Well I just made mine. I went ahead an just did turn downs before the axle. No exhaust shop would touch my car to make tail pipes cause I don't have cats. But it sounds good. Went with a pair of thrush mufflers an it sounds really good. Thanks for all the help
Pretty much what I did for mine..

Last edited by the_merv; 03-09-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=the_merv;13003605]The only thing that would bother me in that pic is the fact that you can't drop the Rear Axle. I'm sure you can put some Bandclamps on it, but if you get airborne kiss that Exhaust goodbye..lol

Yeah, that's the one thing that I don't really like about it. But, if I ever need to, I'll just cut it right before the axle, and weld some flanges on.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you guys happen to notice in my picture the v-band clamps before the axle? Much better than band clamps. I can have the tailpipes off in 5 minutes if I need to drop the axle. 99% of the time, I jack the car up by the rear axle anyway. It's a TSP dual setup that was extended out the back. If I were building it from scratch, I would have run the pipe wider to tuck up closer to the axle tubes versus the center pumpkin.

The clearance is better than when it was dumped. The tips of the dumps actually turned down. The pipe makes a slight turn up now as it passes under the axle.

If you're getting your car airborne enough to fully extend the rear shocks, you have more damage to worry about than some tailpipes.

Quick Reply: True Dual Question