Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any way to tell if my computer has completed a drive cycle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there any way to tell if my computer has completed a drive cycle?

I have had a bunch of problems passing emissions ever since I got Long Tubes with an Off Road Y-Pipe on my 98 Trans Am. I tried getting the O2 codes tuned out but every time I get the car emission tested it comes up as the computer hasn't completed a drive cycle. So is there any way I can tell if the computer is "ready" before I get emissions tested?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

The cheapest OBDII scanners tell you if emissions tests pass as well as reading & clearing error codes. I got one for about $60 at Pep Boys. You can also get it read for free at Autozone.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Take a road trip, if the check engine light doesn't come on during it, you're good to go. I have the OBDII scanner and it's been a while since I've had to use it. I can't remember if the code shows up on it before the check engine light goes on or not, but I do remember having to drive a ton to get it to reset after my bad cat was replaced.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

we have a special scanner here at work that is designed just to see the monitors as they come on line. We have used it several times to get cars through the inspection process. Certian years need certian number of monitors. the box is called nex tech emission mate. there about a 100 bucks.
worth every penny
Old 03-12-2010, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by overkill-lt1
we have a special scanner here at work that is designed just to see the monitors as they come on line. We have used it several times to get cars through the inspection process. Certian years need certian number of monitors. the box is called nex tech emission mate. there about a 100 bucks.
worth every penny
Thanks. I tried to look those up but I couldn't find anything. But I would be interested to know which scanners would run a mock emissions test.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by timpala11
Take a road trip, if the check engine light doesn't come on during it, you're good to go. I have the OBDII scanner and it's been a while since I've had to use it. I can't remember if the code shows up on it before the check engine light goes on or not, but I do remember having to drive a ton to get it to reset after my bad cat was replaced.
Not entirely true. Ive seen a few instances where not all monitors were ready and no CEL was present. as mentioned before most local auto part stores will scan it for you, not sure if they can see readiness monitors though. Aeroforce Scan Guages can help you out with this also :wink:

http://www.neweraperformance.net/def...=intcept-all|0
Old 03-12-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have this one:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/obd-ii-pock...29&zmap=21249G

There are a number of emissions tests - maybe 7, I forget. But for each it tells you if it passes, fails, or is incomplete. If you have some that are incomplete drive the car more and then scan it again.

I also have efilive which will scan and log a ton of cool stuff. But for emissions readiness all you need is a basic scanner.

Quick Reply: Is there any way to tell if my computer has completed a drive cycle?