Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cats vs Bullets for sound control

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cats vs Bullets for sound control

Just like the title says, which will reduce the sound level more, bullet mufflers or cats? I am thinking about making making my own duals, using the summit universal X and some Magnaflow 4x9s mufflers, and I want to control the startup/driveaway noise for my neighbors sake.

A pair of bullets would cost about as much as one cat, but if the cats make for a quieter setup then I'll just opt for that. My goal is a nice, deep, high flowing setup that won't wake my neighbors up at 6am... but sound better than a catback, because I'm getting real tired of my Hooker exhaust/ory sound.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would like to know also, thinking of putting 2 magnaflow spun ceramic cats 3"
Old 03-14-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been doing some searching and I think that I want to build an exhaust system using a 3" flowmaster D-Port balance tube kit, a pair of magnaflow 18" case (11249) mufflers, and possibly a pair of 12" case moroso spiral flows before the balance pipe. This with 45* turnouts.

The spiral flows would be cheaper than cats, flow ~850 CFM, and hopefully would provide enough muffling to keep my cold morning starts from hitting the neighbors so hard. All I know is that my LT, 4" ORY, and Hooker catback is a little too loud after I put the cam in.

Anyone think that some cats would be quieter than the spiralflows?