Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering level increasing, rad fluid possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering level increasing, rad fluid possible?

So after not starting my car for 6 months and doing a large overhaul on hit, i finally added power steering fluid and started her up. She sounds great but the PS fluid level is going up. Not sure if radiator fluid is getting in there or what. Maybe i connected my PS cooler lines the wrong way or it is bad? The PS fluid had more of a butterscotch look to it now. Any suggestions? thanks
Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

If you were getting coolant in the PS fluid it would look like foaming chocolate milk. What's the fluid look like?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mklinger
If you were getting coolant in the PS fluid it would look like foaming chocolate milk. What's the fluid look like?
i think that is the problem, after it sits for a while the fluid looks clear but after i let it idle for 20 seconds it looks like foamy/bubbly light chocolate milk....do you think i connected something wrong or the ps cooler could of just went bad?, i did crank it over prior for some amount of time without any ps fluid, hopefully the pump is fine
Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 AM
Staging Lane

I would say there is a breach between the PS cooler and the rad. Pull the rad and take to a raditor shop and have them test it. You are going to have to completely flush the PS system as well too get all the coolant out
Old 03-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mklinger
I would say there is a breach between the PS cooler and the rad. Pull the rad and take to a raditor shop and have them test it. You are going to have to completely flush the PS system as well too get all the coolant out
ok so i added a extermal ps cooler and its still getting frothy and has a good leak that I believe is comming from the top nipple that goes into the top part of the ps pump, do you know what this is for? is this for pressuizing the ps because as soon as i idle the car it leaks from there and the ps fluid goes up in the resovoir. I have a ysi sc'er that holds the nipple down into the top of the ps pump...maybe there isnt a tight of a seal or something is my guess
Old 03-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

The nipple on the resouvoir is the return. If you already have coolant in the system you need to purge the entire PS system. Coolant will boil at a lot lower temp than hydraulic fluid. That's whats causing the chocalate milk effect. You will need to pump at least a gallon of PS fluid through the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqRjhrE_XEw
Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the power steering fluid runs through a cooler in the coolant hose replace that piece and flush your PS system with lots of fluid.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Teching In

ok so there is not any radiator fluid mixing with my ps fluid, i know this because I deleted the ps cooler. Basically maybe the system has just to much fluid or i dont know squat about bleeding the ps system but each time i let it idle with the ps resovoir cap off, I guess its not the fluid so much that is rising, it appears to be foaming with air bubbles like its building up pressure. Not sure if this is normal, maybe my pump is out
Old 03-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Oh and I noticed the black o ring was not on the upper nipple of the ps pump but was inside the top part of the pump, maybe it was not sealing like it should of which was causing the leak from the top of the nipple, I replaced all the lines and am going to check for leaks tomorrow
Old 03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

if u have a p/s cooler it is possible it has gone bad, u can just bypass it and flush p/s system

Quick Reply: Power steering level increasing, rad fluid possible?