Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odds/Ends questions & advise

Old 03-19-2010, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odds/Ends questions & advise

Heres the deal. Took my T/a into the shop last week to install a bunch of mods. I think both me and the shop are in over our heads, it appears that the guy doing the engine work, knows his engines, but has never worked on an ls1 car before, hints he took the heads off to do the cam lol. (Worked well for me because I had new ls6 heads put on with no extra labor costs). However, new missing parts keep coming up, two trips to ohio summit this week already. Today was for a Weiand intake gasket (local parts stores didnt carry). The two parts I am stuck on now, are the weiand intake manifold bolts (about an inch shorter than stock, summit didn't even carry them) & the fuel line fitting that goes on the right side. Could someone point me in the right direction to find these parts, ive tried many places with no results. Im so close to being done, & getting impatient but dont want to half-*** it if i can avoid it. The modifications being put on are as follows: Qtp lt headers, slp y pipe, weiand intake, bbk tb, tsp's torquer2 camshaft kit, ls6 heads, ls6 oil pump, ls2 timing chain, 410 gears/rebuild kit, hawk hp front brakes. I'm a little nervous to drive it home, knowing its going to be rough without a tune. What things do i need to watch out for, or break in slowly? I want to get the car up on a dyno asap, but some people are telling me dyno right after install, others say break it in before its beat on @ the dyno? Does anyone has close mods done to their car that can share some dyno & track numbers with me? Sorry this is so long, I'm getting a little parnoid.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it's not a new engine you don't have to break it in. BUT!!! Since your putting all of that on you don't need to beat on it at all until you get a tune and you need to do that asap. I would say try not to go above 2K or espeically 3K but I know that's going to be hard seeing you have 4:10 gears. Are you an Auto or Manual? Either way your going to get a stall if its an A4 and if it's an M6 your going to have to upgrade your clutch cause the stock one won't last long. YOu need to do alot of research. As far as numbers I'm going to say 420 to 440 rwhp that's just me guessing.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didnt mention if you upgraded fuel injectors. I hope you did cause if not its gonna be starving on the dyno.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's probably a good idea to heat cycle the new valvesprings before you flog it on the dyno multiple times. ( You did get new valvesprings and pushrods right..?)
Old 03-19-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

he did say cam kit so i'm assuming so. next time take it to a shop that knows their way around an lsx car. or do it all yourself.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

The real reason i went to them, they did everything for $450, kind of hard to beat lol. I'm about to go pick it up in a few minutes. No, i did not upgrade the fuel injectors, which ones should i upgrade to & what type of $? Thats one thing i have not yet looked into. I'm most worried about my rear end staying together.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

well its hard to beat till they screw something up.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tranny/convertor up grade?stock tranny/convertor will not handle that power increase for long .need bigger injectors ,you stepped up in power big,opened up a can of worms.rear end/drive shaft.it is worth it YES,keeps you out of marriage.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:12 AM
On The Tree

Well, I just picked it up, it is ENTIRELY WAYYY TOO LOUD, would probably go to jail lol. The problem with keeping it at 2-3000 rpms is it has to be above 3000 to not stall out, it is out of tune BAD. I can tell shes going to run, probably better than i expected. Just by hearing it, i feel there are alot more upgrades i did not do that i will need to do for it not to break. A clutch was one that i was aware of. Drive shafts and such, I havent even went down that road yet. To be truthful, by the time I'm done with the dyno, I'm going to be pretty much flat broke. The machanic working out it, decided to drop oil & antifreeze all over the bottom of the engine, so I'm going to have to drive it around a bit before going to the dyno, no way in hell they will allow me to put it in the shop as it sits. Along with the other mods i listed above & in my signature, I have an slp cat back, could someone point me in a direction of a muffler that will tone it done alot. I still want it to sound good, but how it sounds now, is absoutely rediculous! lol. For those who asked, i do have an M6.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by garylisko
Well, I just picked it up, it is ENTIRELY WAYYY TOO LOUD, would probably go to jail lol. The problem with keeping it at 2-3000 rpms is it has to be above 3000 to not stall out, it is out of tune BAD. I can tell shes going to run, probably better than i expected. Just by hearing it, i feel there are alot more upgrades i did not do that i will need to do for it not to break. A clutch was one that i was aware of. Drive shafts and such, I havent even went down that road yet. To be truthful, by the time I'm done with the dyno, I'm going to be pretty much flat broke. The machanic working out it, decided to drop oil & antifreeze all over the bottom of the engine, so I'm going to have to drive it around a bit before going to the dyno, no way in hell they will allow me to put it in the shop as it sits. Along with the other mods i listed above & in my signature, I have an slp cat back, could someone point me in a direction of a muffler that will tone it done alot. I still want it to sound good, but how it sounds now, is absoutely rediculous! lol. For those who asked, i do have an M6.
first off, you don't need axles or a drive shaft. there is no way u can afford a 12 bolt so don't worry about it, just don't be stupid. second find a true 3" cat back or bigger(i like spintech and mufflex) and research the 3"/4" flowmaster merge, it will help get rid of the obnoxious noise your car is putting out. also might free up some more power. and yes of course a dyno tune is not an option. same for the clutch.

i'm probably forgetting something but it's 3:30 am and i'm going to bed. ill look at this again tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:01 AM
On The Tree

Also could someone recommend fuel injectors I will be needing (hoping something thats not to costly) As for the clutch, Im hoping to find a used in good condition ls7 clutch. Thank you in advanced for all the advise. (In wayy over my head right now) lol.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

oh right fuel injectors...hmm i actually have the same question for my 2nd cam swap. my current cam doesn't need them but my new cam will be bigger than yours. my solution was going to be to call my tuner on monday and see what he says. and as far as price goes...good luck.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I would recommend some SVO red top 30s for injectors. They should handle that H/C well.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, one of the site's sponsors, Fuel Injector Connection, will build you a set of custom injectors for a reasonable price. That's what I did not too long ago, and I've been happy with their quality (3 yr warranty too).
Old 03-20-2010, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

well I guess i got what i paid for as the shops concern. Hooked the car up to a scan tool today to find 12 codes showing, they decided to not put the 02 sensors on, re-located things to incorrect places, map & throttle position sensor are "unresponcive" So I have to take the intake off and see if theyre even plugged in, my wash fluid container was just laying in there. I cant even remember what else right now, I sure hope they didnt do as shitting of a job on the engine mods as the easy ****. They even put the rotational tires on wrong, how in the hell do u mess that up? Anyways, my buddy and i are going to undo all of their mistakes tonight & tomarrow. Then i can get back to clutch and injectors as a priorty. So 30lb injectors will work fine? They dont seem as expensive as the rest.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garylisko
well I guess i got what i paid for as the shops concern. Hooked the car up to a scan tool today to find 12 codes showing, they decided to not put the 02 sensors on, re-located things to incorrect places, map & throttle position sensor are "unresponcive" So I have to take the intake off and see if theyre even plugged in, my wash fluid container was just laying in there. I cant even remember what else right now, I sure hope they didnt do as shitting of a job on the engine mods as the easy ****. They even put the rotational tires on wrong, how in the hell do u mess that up? Anyways, my buddy and i are going to undo all of their mistakes tonight & tomarrow. Then i can get back to clutch and injectors as a priorty. So 30lb injectors will work fine? They dont seem as expensive as the rest.
Wow, that is scary. If they half ***'d all that relatively easy stuff, who knows how well they did with the other stuff? Keep us posted on how everything turns out. Oh and yes, 30LB injectors should work just fine for what you've done. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2010, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

As of eariler today, there was a loud poping noise coming from the engine, and a jerking back and fourth motion while driving down the road. Im assuming its from the o2 sensors not being plugged in, along with the valve cover bolt not in the front. Fixing what I KNOW OF & going from there. It is a scary thought, to think the reason im building is to race it. I'm hoping everything turns out, I already dropped wayy more money than intended, I'm concentrating on the clutch first and then injectors, will it be ok to run stock injectors for a few weeks?
Old 03-21-2010, 02:02 AM
On The Tree

Im kinda having problems with the injectors, theyre priced funny. As long as theyre 30 pounders im good?
Old 03-21-2010, 02:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to have the car checked by GOOD mechanics. The error of removing heads for a cam change should have been a first clue. Sorry for your misfortune, but compounding it without good advice is another error. We can't properly diagnose your car without being there.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:41 AM
On The Tree

Last question, I dont remember which spark plugs i got in there right now, but i know theyre not that great. Any recommendations? The o2 sensors are all plugged in correctly, valve cover bolt, all the hoses are ran properly. I'm going to clear the codes tomarrow & double check make sure we didnt miss anything, still hoping to be on the dyno for Monday or Tuesday.

Search this Thread