Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any last advice before catback install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any last advice before catback install?

Going to be putting on my LM2 catback tomorrow.

1998, all stock, 112K miles on it. Any advice? We have lots of PB blaster and a sawzall....cut the stocker to bits and yank it off? Cut the bolts?

Putting the LM on shouldnt be bad.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

no it shouldnt.... make sure you snug all the clamps up and check to spacing around the body b4 you do a final tighten sequence(which should be front to back)....
Old 03-26-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you...front to back makes sense! First time doing any exhaust work.

Would you reccomend taking the passenger side, rear wheel off? Havent looked under there at the stock bolts yet.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

i didnt need to take my wheels off to put my lm1 on. looks like youre all set. now just do it and enjoy!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you replacing the Y pipe too? When I took my stock exhaust off last week, I cut it just before the muffler, and just before the axle...which made it a million times easier to remove.

If you're replacing the Y-pipe, you probably want to heat the bolts holding it to the cats until they're glowing bright red otherwise my money has them snapping off in the cat flanges like mine did (which was ok for me as I was putting in longtubes too...but might be a problem for you).

If you're not replacing the Y-pipe, just be careful getting the old catback to seperate from it...try to situate a block of wood so you can tap the old catback straight back and you should be able to get it to slide out...but again, heat might be your friend.

Should also mention, I'm used to new england cars where rust makes this stuff harder, yours might not be nearly as difficult.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you ended up going with the LM2. Be sure to post up your thoughts on it after the install, I'm considering one for mine, and I'm really curious as to how you like it. There's so many mixed opinions on it here, I'm going crazy trying to make the choice, lol.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock manifolds, y, and cats. Just bolting up catback. Thanks for the advice.

Promise to post my opinion!!! I was so on the fence and was afraid to shell out coin for a quiet catback, but the lm1 is insAne. Hopefully Sunday I can post up about the install and thoughts!

Anyone unplug battery? Or does it matter? I did for my lid install.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I disconnected the battery when I did my catback install, but it has been quite a while ago. You shouldn't have to. You won't be messing with the O2 Sensors or any other electrical connection.

I'm pretty sure the Loudmouth Catbacks include all the necessary hardware (mine did). If not, be sure to pick up some good quality band clamps.

Be sure the Over-Axle piping has enough clearance between the body and the Panhard Bar. When installing Magnaflow Catback on a buddy's Camaro, we didn't adjust it properly and it vibrates on the Panhard. (That reminds me, we should jack that sucker up and readjust that.)

Good luck with your install.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Like the others have sad, sawzall pipe over axle and that should be it, install, drive the new system for a few hundred miles and retighten the clamps, check for leaks.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=TImmy_Jones;13094192Promise to post my opinion!!! I was so on the fence and was afraid to shell out coin for a quiet catback, but the lm1 is insAne. [/QUOTE]

Same here... I was all set to get a Magnaflow last year....everyone kept telling me how good it would sound with headers and all that, but I don't see headers coming anytime soon. Every sound clip I've heard it just sounds so quiet! I can't imagine spending 400 bucks to have it sound no louder than stock except at WOT. I'm hardly ever at WOT, I want it louder at lower rpms, when I can hear it when I'm cruising.

I can't wait to hear what you think.