Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying headers today just got a question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying headers today just got a question

first off i've used the hell out of the search option on here and found out alot of good info... but just a quick question i need a direct answer on...
i'm finally buying some headers and ORY today... decided to go with the hooker coated headers w/emission and TSP ORY combo instead of pacesetters. i picked the hookers because my last ws6 had pacesetters on it when i bought the car and they were rusted all to hell and the car was really well taken care of.... so anyway right now my exhaust is stock other than an aerochamber muffler and QTP electric cutout in the I pipe.... what i wanna know is when i put the headers and Y on am i gonna have to change out the stock I pipe? because the TSP Y is a 3" piping and if i'm not mistaken the stock I pipe is smaller than 3"... i just dont wanna have my flow going from larger pipe to smaller..... btw i haven't ordered the headers yet so if anybody wants to tell me a good reason to go with the pacesetters over the hookers than please feel free to do so lol
Old 03-28-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure the factory I-pipe is 3".

Although, its a bit smaller at the point where is meets the Y-pipe. But I believe thats so the Y-pipe fits into the I-pipe snug.

I don't have any experience with a TSP ORY (they weren't available when I ordered my headers), but I'm 99% sure they'll match up to the factory I-pipe.

I'd say good choice on the Hooker Headers.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Launching!

The stock I-pipe is 2.75".
Pretty much all aftermarket catbacks are 3".
So at some point you might want to consider
getting an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OSU Football Fan
The stock I-pipe is 2.75".
Pretty much all aftermarket catbacks are 3".
So at some point you might want to consider
getting an aftermarket exhaust.
Or TSP true duals...and forget the y-pipe!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NastyNate65
Or TSP true duals...and forget the y-pipe!
i'd love to have the TSP true duals but i don't have the cash for that... besides i've already ordered the Y-pipe.

damn i was afraid it was 2.75"..... so is using the stock I-pipe going to be a big mistake with the new headers/ory??
Old 03-31-2010, 10:59 PM
Launching!

can any of u exhaust guys give me another opinion on this? i just need to know if i need to replace all the pipe from the y-pipe back to muffler with new 3" pipe after the header install or if it will be ok to use the stock 2.75" pipe
Old 03-31-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

going from a 3" to even 2.5" on a stock cubed engine is fine... if anything it may help the backpressure and scavenging effect. you will be fine, just have fun modifing your stock/current setup