Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout could get ripped off exhaust? wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutout could get ripped off exhaust? wtf?

Ok guys this one really has me pissed. I did a pacesetter header install on my SS this winter, and bought a 3" TSP ORY and a single badlanzHPE 3" cutout. I usually get the car back out and take it back to school spring break, but I couldn't get the car into the local exhaust shop back home (not my usual shop, but I wasn't going to drive an hour with open headers). I gave my dad a blank check, told him what I needed, and got the appointment set up while I was at school. He brought my car back to me today, and the guy at the shop welded the damn cutout about 10" behind the passenger header and just said "looks like you're going to need another one for the drivers side". Apparently he said my car is just too low to put the cutout behind the y it would "just rip off if I hit a bump", and that the only way i should run cutouts was as close to the headers as i could.

Obviously this has pissed me off, he didn't even ask my dad before he hacked up my new ORY and welded it on one damn side. Car is lowered about 1.5" with a dms/kyb setup. I've seen MANY people put a cutout behind the Y before with lowered cars. I really don't want to drop another 200 bucks on a cutout for the other side. Do you guys really think my car will be too low? Or is this just some bullshit like I think it is.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

It sounds like total B.S. to me, he just probably doesn't know what he is saying.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go back have em fix it or kick some ***!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like he wants more business. there's plenty of room for a cutout, you got ripped or the guy has no idea what he's doing.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is what I figured. I don't know what kind of "bumps" he's talking about. I drive a lowered F-body, I know where and where not to drive it... He really made some clean welds and tucked the Y up quite nice, he did a good job, but this cutout issue is just horseshit.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

even if you were on an air-bag system with low profile wheels/tires, you'd still have room to setup the cutout after the merge. go back and knock some sense into an idiot
Old 04-01-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
even if you were on an air-bag system with low profile wheels/tires, you'd still have room to setup the cutout after the merge. go back and knock some sense into an idiot
How about 14" daytons? Lol. I really don't want to be an *******, this guy was good friends with my grandpa before he died. I might take the car into my local guy at school, he should be able to adjust the Y a bit to get rid of the banging (yeah didn't do poly motor mounts, i'm a dickweed) , and reweld the cutout in the right place for 50 bucks or so.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pushed my cutout back a bit further and tucked it just under the rear passenger seat hump (the up-rising portion) and it worked fine. . . (sorry no pics - long since changed exhaust). Good luck
Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I went into my local guy this morning, and got an appointment for next week. He said he could tuck it up in the rear seat hump no problem. Also said he'd look at clearanceing the y a bit to keep it from banging, but said 3" under these cars can get pretty tight. So we'll see what happens. The banging has gotten better in the few days I've had it out, its not bad now.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly this is what exhaust shops have become. You'll see 4-5 "exhaust shops" in a busy area of a city, and none of them are competent enough to even change oil! This is why I did my own exhaust, I got tired of the idiots around my town. I tried taking mandrel bends, flowmaster merge, and vbands to a couple shops. They all turned me down, didn't even quote a ridiculous price! So I did it myself, and got it tucked up better than any of them could do.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

yeah if you tuck it in the area under the rear seat you will have no issues. I went to get some cats welded in cus i needed to pass emissions and the first shop i went too put my car up on the lift, i showed them where i wanted them on the y pipe (stock locations) and the guy was like hell no im not putting cats in there! you got fuel lines running through that area and cats can get red hot and im not gonna be responsible for your car blowing up!! retards.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

yeah the badlanz suck for ground clearence because their 3 are really 3.5 my qtp tucked up under nicely and a one chamber flowmaster in front of it
Old 04-02-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mushroom281
yeah the badlanz suck for ground clearence because their 3 are really 3.5 my qtp tucked up under nicely and a one chamber flowmaster in front of it
Yeah thats why I ordered one though, because i'm going to redo my catback sometime soon 3.5" all the way back with a magnaflow dumped in front of the bumper.

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
Sadly this is what exhaust shops have become. You'll see 4-5 "exhaust shops" in a busy area of a city, and none of them are competent enough to even change oil! This is why I did my own exhaust, I got tired of the idiots around my town. I tried taking mandrel bends, flowmaster merge, and vbands to a couple shops. They all turned me down, didn't even quote a ridiculous price! So I did it myself, and got it tucked up better than any of them could do.
Yeah agreed for the most part. My shop in Manhattan is badass, the guy is a total hotrodder. He has no problem tackling some pretty awesome stuff. The shop back home though is one of the only ones because my hometown is about 3500 people.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Teching In

I have my cutout in the same location you want yours. I don't have any problems with bumps.