Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Faster in the quarter with the Lq4 setup or the LS1 setup
Lq4 will be the king!!! in the quarter mile
60.00%
LS1 will be a beast!! in the quarter mile
40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Lq4 or LS1

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lq4 or LS1

Im at a point where I can have more cubes for a race car that is currently all motor and will probably stay that way. 24X / 24x .6xx lift cam stage 2 heads, full bolt ons fast 90/90, LTs, UDPulley, 42lb injectors,...HPTuners, I think its all in my sig.

I just spun the bottom end. Its not bad and definately can be done over. So I have a choice 550 to have it taken down and oversized bearings put in my current LS1. 550.00.

Purchase a just built lq4 complete for 1000.00 sell the 317 heads and my LS1 block with pistons. and probably come out close to the same price for a few more cubes. however ill be adding 90lbs to the nose.

My question is in my ~ 450RWHP setup would that slow me down or speed me up in the quarter mile?
Its also a daily driver. In the LS1 its not bad at all with that large of a cam so far. It drove better with the 4.56s in there before so sooner than later im sure ill be putting those back in. I think withe extra cubes it would drive even better.

But all that said to find the answer to this one question. For anyone that has done the swap using the same cam top end. Did you lose or gain time in the quarter?

Thanks,
Old 04-03-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Has anyone swapped to an iron block and have before and after track times?
Old 04-04-2010, 05:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no before and after track times, but I can safely say I didn't notice any difference in the way my car handled from the extra weight one bit... I definately love the extra tq coming from the 6.0... I wouldn't go back to an LS1 if you paid me...

well... it'd have to be worth while
Old 04-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Launching!

I have an LQ4 also, its under the knife. From everything I've heard its worth the swap, and the more cubes and larger combustion chambers can really help open up the torque band. OR if you use your heads off the LS1 you'll raise your compression....so its a win win with the LQ4.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I say keep the LS1.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
no before and after track times, but I can safely say I didn't notice any difference in the way my car handled from the extra weight one bit... I definately love the extra tq coming from the 6.0... I wouldn't go back to an LS1 if you paid me...

well... it'd have to be worth while
I assume you used your same cam/heads.... was there anything else you had to do besides the alternator bolt tap?

Since I have already got the lq4 at the shop now I think imma go ahead with the build. I am worried about the pistons and if I will have to fly cut with the TREX cam not sure if they were cut in the LS1 setup.