Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn key and nothin?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default turn key and nothin?!

not really sure where to post this but for some strange reason when i went to go turn my car on as soon as i turned the key i got nothing not a click like it was completely dead, all i did was pull the key back and try it again and it turned over fine, it happened twice in one week and never had this happen to me, any ideas??
Old 04-04-2010, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me on 3 of my Cars. 1 was an ignition Switch, another car I had- it was a bad ground at the engine block, and the 1 I have now, It was the key. On 1 side of the key it had a piece of the Anti-Theft chip (resistor) missing and it would not make a connection. It also set the alarm off sometimes when I tried to start it, but not always! I would check the obvious, and go from there. Also, it could be a battery or starter issue also. But generally a starter issue, you'll have power to the car and when you try to crank it, it won't start. A bad Battery or loose connection could be an issue though for sure!
Hope this helps...

James
Old 04-05-2010, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start by looking for loose connections and the obvious stuff then move to the tougher items like the starter. My 83 Camino just did the same thing and it was the starter... but it sounded like crap for years before it finally died. Starters usually aren't that hard to remove and then you can take it to the parts store to get it tested. I've also heard of headers burning up starter motors, not sure how much of a problem that is on F-bodies. Does it not starting correlate to heat soak?