Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huge coolant leak now, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge coolant leak now, please help!!

Upon first start up my engine overheated due to lack of coolant in the motor.. It didn't get to the red zone on the gauge but pretty close before I noticed and shut it off.. Now there is a massive coolant leak near the back of the passenger side head.. I can't see exactly where but it POURS out. Would a head gasket cause this?! or is it something else??

Thanks to those who answered my previous questions.

Last edited by boosted4life; 04-06-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the pump but they leak out the weep hole befor they go bad. Sounds like u got a tone of air in the system. Try this

Take th top hose off the water pump then use a smaller rubber hose connect it to the water pump facing up pour water in it untill it wont take any more. Now the block is full of water. Re attach the hose from the radiator and fill while the car is off. Then turn your heater on full blast and start the car. While the car is running watch the water level in the radaitor as soon as it starts to go down fill it untill it is at the operating temp and watch while the car is running it shouldent over heat. You will see some small bubbles coming out the fill on the radiator when they pretty much go away replace the wateer cap. Now while the car is still running check the reserve tank and fill untill it says full hot.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Could be the pump but they leak out the weep hole befor they go bad. Sounds like u got a tone of air in the system. Try this

Take th top hose off the water pump then use a smaller rubber hose connect it to the water pump facing up pour water in it untill it wont take any more. Now the block is full of water. Re attach the hose from the radiator and fill while the car is off. Then turn your heater on full blast and start the car. While the car is running watch the water level in the radaitor as soon as it starts to go down fill it untill it is at the operating temp and watch while the car is running it shouldent over heat. You will see some small bubbles coming out the fill on the radiator when they pretty much go away replace the wateer cap. Now while the car is still running check the reserve tank and fill untill it says full hot.
Ok thanks, ill try that.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Or just top it off, start the engine with the radiator cap off, then while its heating up rapidly squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses. That works the coolant through the system and pushes the air past the t-stat so the coolant touches it, heats up and opens the t-stat like its supposed to. With the air bubble on the engine side of the t-stat, the coolant doesn't touch the t-stat, just hot air. And that air must get super hot to open the t-stat, by that time the coolant in the heads is red lined.

Works every time.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

yep air in the system.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

I just start it with the cap off and squeeze the upper hose, making sure to keep topping off the radiator. Works great. Definetely sounds like air in the system.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Yea I was trying to squeeze the hoses but didn't seem to be doing much.. the engine got pretty hot before I noticed it, was above 210 but not to the red area thank god. It was smoking a bit so hopefully the head gasket isn't blown..
Old 04-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Ok, i poured water directly into the water pump.. but while I was doing that coolant started POURING out near the back of the passenger side head... the engine was off the whole time.. could a head gasket cause this??
Old 04-06-2010, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

might be a cross over tube leak.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headgasket, cracked head or block are worst case scenerioes.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bad Notch
might be a cross over tube leak.
I thought there was only a cross over tube in the front?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Figured it out.. there are two little plugs that bolt on to the back of the heads, they weren't on. Now I have to deal with clutch issues.. yay..
Old 04-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Yeah when I had my heads freshened up and a new cam put in and gaskets and all that bs, we made the same mistake. I freaked the hell out when I saw all that coolant come gushing out. As soon as I saw this post I was going to say that but you got to it first.

Quick Reply: Huge coolant leak now, please help!!