Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsolved mystery!!! 01 z28 problem plz help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsolved mystery!!! 01 z28 problem plz help!!!!

I know this post probably has been posted a million times, or maybe i am in the wrong post thread.. but take a look, i bet you'll have no answer either!

Alright so i just uncovered my password for LS1tech over the pile of dust since 05' lol and haven't had any problems with my car since (that'd be a big lie)! But this one has seemed to STUMP! and i mean STUMP everyone i come into contact with, or ask... Mechanics with 25-30yrs experience, FORGET IT! Starter & alternator repairs, nothing! Auto part stores, ha joke.. Even wal-mart! imagine that! You name it! I've asked!! Now i am coming to you guy's.. THE BEST AROUND!!

The problem: 01 Z28 will not start!!! Starter is good, car turns over... I have been jobless for a year so my car has just sat for months at a time, back in Dec. of 09' it would take bout 3-4 cranks to start, then 5-8 cranks, then just went dead!
Solution: NOT FOUND!
Results: I have tried everything man, from charging my 4-5 yr old Red top optima battery, having it tested at wal-mart (good battery). To having a friend run a diagnostics with his 10k Snap-on computer to find the problem, nothing throwed or gave there! So i ripped out the alternator and had it tested, needed a new regulator, replaced it, and still won't start!!!! Dude i am stranded and do not know what to do! Please help!

IS IT THE FUEL PUMP???

End result: MY CAR IS HAUNTED!!!
Only thing i haven't tried is handing my baby over to a Chevy dealership and having them charge me out the A-hole!!! NO FUN!!!!

Please help.. The big car show ROD RUNS in Pigeon Forge, TN is next week, I would love to have it up and running by then! I appreciate every comment or concern! THANKS
-Trey

P.S. I AM DESPERATE lol
Old 04-06-2010, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on?

Edit: Actually I would think that a dead fuel pump would trip the CES or show up on the snap on computer... but maybe not.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Yes...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so it's turning over but not starting? If so then get a fuel pressure tester and hook it to the fuel rail and crank the engine over to see what kind of pressure it has. If that's good then check for spark. an easy way is to just pull off one of the wires and take a known good spark plug and hook it to the wire. Lay the metal of the plug on something metal on the car like the valve cover or anything that is grounded. Have somebody crank the engine and watch for spark. You can leave your plugs in, just grab an old one that is good to do the test.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Well my car wouldn't start with under 12.3 volts of charge, but would with 12.6 volts going to that monster of a computer system that drains the dang battery!! So we have tapped the MAF sensor.. started right up, did it again, and nothing... charged the battery, starts up, tried it again with it charged, and nothing???? WTF MAN!!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Ok man.. same thing just happened to me.. I took my car to the gm dealer and they told me it was the pcm.. they were wrong.

There are 3 wires that connect to the back of the head on the drivers side. I tried a few things. I re-grounded one and my gauges, fuel pump, etc turned on!! I re-grounded the other two and it fired right up!! Turns out one of those wires causes the injectors not to fire if not grounded properly... so in other words, everything could be working great, and you can have pressure at the rails, but the injectors will not fire.

I hope this helps you out.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Thx alot man.. but wouldnt that result in my car not being able to start at all? I have gotten it to start several times trying new things every time, just not consistently... But dually noted tho!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSrookiekid
Thx alot man.. but wouldnt that result in my car not being able to start at all? I have gotten it to start several times trying new things every time, just not consistently... But dually noted tho!
Well if its loose it might be wiggling around so it will start sometimes and not others... just a thought.. your problem is strange tho.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Fixed it!!!!! Whhoooooo hoooo!!!!

Thank you everyone for your help and concerns!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:48 AM
11 Second Club

So what ended up fixing it?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

ignition relay
Old 04-10-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Ahhh... Was gonna take a guess at bad gas, but mine sat over the winter and still ran fine on the **** form the fall..
Old 04-10-2010, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

The dang ignition relay.. ended up switchin some from my Z71 truck to the Z28 and it started right up! so went over to Auto Zone.. a simple $8.99!! Thank god it wasn't the fuel pump!!!