Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust... several questions.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust... several questions.

I know... I a million threads on this already, but I want MY questions answered here and now... in one place.

I've had a P2040 (or whatever it is for bank 1 below threshold) SES code for several months now and I know it's the CATS, so instead of spending $1,000 to replace the stock CATs with new OEM CATs, I decided to just utilize the opportunity to upgrade

I've decided without a doubt, I'm going with Kooks headers. Don't try and change my mind because of the price... I'm getting them. Period.

My questions are, what to do after the headers... Do I get a off-road y-pipe (ORY) and no CATs? Do I go CAT'd y-pipe? Do I do a 3" CAT back? Do I go 2.5" true duals? I'm looking to spend money, but to spend the RIGHT money is key.... I just don't know witht he gazillion options out there. There are so many freakin' threads on this topic it'll make your head spin with pros and cons and "this is better than this" etc., etc.

Just want some opinions from some serious exhaust experiences. Don't give me your "SLP didn't fit for ****" or "Ebay headers rock" because I don't want to hear it... Thank you ahead of time and I look forward to this thread getting loooong

Adam
Old 04-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Launching!

well i'm no exhaust expert so i'm not gonna try to give you some great advice on what to do..... but it really depends on what you are looking for as far as sound.... be more specific on what kinda sound and hp gains you are wanting.... there's soooo many diff setups to choose from
Old 04-07-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

uhh... do you realize, that ultimately you have the decision on what you want? are you looking for what's the proven best setup? do you have to deal with emissions?

seems like you already know that a true dual x-pipe with no cats will give you the best performance. a y-pipe will introduce rasp, etc. What exactly are you asking? What are your plan with the vehilce. Seems like you can answer the question of wheather you want a y-pipe or not?

You remove cats on either y-pipe and x-pipe you know you will have to tune out your rear O2 sensors... well, if you keep the cats you don't need to tune them out
Old 04-07-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...installed.html

this is my most recent exhaust thread, i love my set up but there are pros/cons to it just like every system out there. i think we touched on a little bit of everything in that thread. it could give you a good idea what you do/don't want.

some things you might want to consider: poly motor mounts, when doing headers its the perfect time to junk the crappy stock rubber ones(i wish i had). because i can almost guarantee you will get header slap/pipe slap. also if doing a y-pipe you might want to look into the flowmaster merge, myself along with a lot of other ppl swear by this(yeah yeah i kno i kno shut uuuppp ). the fm merge is awesome for doing away with rasp. also decide wether or not you want a cut out so someone can help you decide which ones. as far as cat backs go i wouldn't go with anything smaller than 3" but after that it comes down to what kind of sound you want.

always keep in mind you get what you pay for. i had to find that out the hard way.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Teching In

I am in the exact situation. I just bought Kooks Race Headers ( I am planning on deleting the Air System, tuning it out along with the rear o2's and have already bought the Bosch o2s to replace the Front o2s) but where to go next. Some Rasp doesn't mind me, but I definitely want it to be a Healthy Loud exhaust with the most performance possible! Not sure about true duals, because I am lowered 2" and don't want to scrap. My TA isn't a daily driver. When I do take it out, I take it out on the streets 80% and track about 20%. I am looking to spend around $800 for a y-pipe and cat back ( I don't mind buying used systems) but my QUESTION is what to buy?
Old 04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
I know... I a million threads on this already, but I want MY questions answered here and now... in one place.

I've had a P2040 (or whatever it is for bank 1 below threshold) SES code for several months now and I know it's the CATS, so instead of spending $1,000 to replace the stock CATs with new OEM CATs, I decided to just utilize the opportunity to upgrade

I've decided without a doubt, I'm going with Kooks headers. Don't try and change my mind because of the price... I'm getting them. Period.

My questions are, what to do after the headers... Do I get a off-road y-pipe (ORY) and no CATs? Do I go CAT'd y-pipe? Do I do a 3" CAT back? Do I go 2.5" true duals? I'm looking to spend money, but to spend the RIGHT money is key.... I just don't know witht he gazillion options out there. There are so many freakin' threads on this topic it'll make your head spin with pros and cons and "this is better than this" etc., etc.

Just want some opinions from some serious exhaust experiences. Don't give me your "SLP didn't fit for ****" or "Ebay headers rock" because I don't want to hear it... Thank you ahead of time and I look forward to this thread getting loooong

Adam
First of all, I can remember feeling the way you do. Something like, "Look at all these freaking choices! How the Hell am I supposed to know what I need and what I'll like?"

Does that sound about right? LOL

Second: I don't know if I'd consider myself and exhaust "expert", but I've been a part of installing full exhaust on three different 4th Gen's. So I hope that qualifies my opinion as a good one.

Okay, with that said, here's my $.02...

Do I do a 3" CAT back? Do I go 2.5" true duals?
This is first question you need to answer.

True Duals sound awesome and are supposed to provide the best performance gains from exhaust alone. But obviously, they double the number of pipes being used to route your exhaust, therefore taking up alot more space under the already cramped underbody of our F-bodys. This can increase the chance of scraping your new pipes on speed-bumps and other hazards. And if you have any plans to lower your ride, obviously the risk gets worse. You get the idea.

You also have to decide what mufflers to add to your TD System, X-pipe or H-pipe, and whether or not you want to dump your exhaust under the car, before the axle ( I'm not a fan) or run it back to the bumper. If you choose to go to the bumper, you'll need to decide whether or not to go under or over the axle and also decide on some exhaust tips that you find attractive on your ride.

True Duals require alot of decisions and are a very "custom" exhaust.

A Y-pipe & Catback Setup is pretty straight forward. (This is what I've dealt with when it comes to 4th Gen Exhaust.) Headers to Y-pipe, Y-pipe to I-pipe of the catback, over the axle into a muffler with dual exits that, most of the time, include some type of tip. Pretty simple.

Although the headers and 3" Y sit lower than the factory flattened Y-pipe, this setup will have more ground clearance than TDs. And almost every catback can be made to fit just like stock.

You have all kinds of choices when it comes to catbacks. From quiet to loud and throaty to exotic sounding.

But, with a Y-pipe you are bringing two sets of flowing gases into one and ultimately creating some restriction. Having a Y-pipe can also create rasp, which alot of people (but not all) find distasteful. Using a Y-pipe with a good merge (the Flowmaster Merge is the best) is a very good remedy to both of these problems.

Some say the best catback system can't compare to the awesome sound of a TD Setup. I'm a bit skeptical. I've only heard one car with TD's dumped and it sounded pretty good. I've also heard some really great sounding catbacks that easily compare to TD's. What you'll like better is up to you.

Do I get a off-road y-pipe (ORY) and no CATs? Do I go CAT'd y-pipe?
Lets say you decide you want to do a Y-pipe/Catback Setup. To answer your question above depends on a couple things.

First of all, do you need to be emissions compliant in your area? (I live in Iowa. We don't have emissions testing, so I'm not really familiar with the procedure.) If you need to pass a visual inspection you may want a set of cats under your car.

If you don't have to pass inspection, then the only other reason to go with a Catted-Y is to help with eliminating rasp and taming the volume (slightly) of whatever catback you choose.

I've had SLP's Loudmouth Catback on my car since 2004, but I only just last year added my LT's. I didn't want to purchase a different catback, so I went with a catted Y-pipe in an attempt to keep the LM1 from getting obnoxious loud. I like how it turned out, so I'm glad I went with cats.

My brother and my friend, Dave have SLP Dual/Dual and Maganflow Catback, respectively on there Camaros. Both of these exhausts are much quieter than my LM1, so the cats weren't needed. Each of their cars have Jet Hot LTs and ORYs and sound great.

One downfall to going ORY is the smell of your exhaust can be sickeningly sweet and can be a bit overpowering if you're around it for a significant amount of time. But without the cats, thats one less thing to restrict the exhaust flow, therefore increasing performance.

Another thing to consider that you didn't mention in your O.P. is whether or not you want headers with emissions fittings (AIR/EGR flanges) or "Race Style" that do not have these provisions.

Your car is an 01 so you won't have an EGR to deal with, but you have the choice of retaining your A.I.R. System or eliminating it. Its purpose is to pump fresh air to the cats upon first starting the car to heat them up quicker and make them perform at maximum efficiency more quickly. If you go with an ORY or TD system you won't have cats to heat up, so the system is useless. If you choose a catted-Y, you could go either way.

I have Jet Hots with emission's fittings and now would rather have the Race Style. I've upgraded to an LS6 Intake, so I no longer have my EGR. And I've seen a few engine bays without the AIR System. It really cleans it up and gets one more thing outta the way when working on your ride. I've also read you can eliminate a significant amount of weight by deleting the AIR. I plan to remove this from my car, so I no longer need the fittings.

Also, I know you mentioned price isn't an issue, but headers with or without the fittings are priced the same.

Good choice. I wish I'd have gone with a stainless steel LT. (Just wasn't in the budget at the time.) If you decide to go with TDs, I'd say stick to the Kooks.

But... please forgive me... if you should decide you want a Y-pipe/Catback Setup you may want to consider a set of American Racing Headers (ARH). Here is why...

Kooks are stainless and so is the Y-pipe they sell. But, unless they have upgraded it recently, the merge on their Y-pipe isn't the greatest. If you choose to go with a Y-pipe with the Flowmaster merge, like Texas Speed's, this Y-pipe isn't stainless.

Myself, I wouldn't spend the money on stainless headers and then skimp on a Y-pipe made out of anything, but the same.

ARH are stainless and so is their Y-pipe and the Y has a very good merge. They sell their LT's and Y-pipes as a set (they're not cheap either), so I don't believe you can purchase just the Y-pipe and match it to the Kooks you're planning to get.

To wrap this novel of a post up...

If I were to build my exhaust all over again, I would go with a set of Race Style (without A.I.R./EGR fittings) American Racing Headers and their Catted Y-pipe matched to my Loudmouth Catback.

I know this post isn't telling you what's "best". Exhaust note is a personal choice. Really it's not up to me to decide what you think sounds good on your car. So listen to some sound clips on ls1sounds, check out some vids on YouTube, and scour this site for threads that have anything to do with exhaust tone.

Good luck, man!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
some things you might want to consider: poly motor mounts, when doing headers its the perfect time to junk the crappy stock rubber ones(i wish i had). because i can almost guarantee you will get header slap/pipe slap.

always keep in mind you get what you pay for. i had to find that out the hard way.
This is very, VERY good advice. I highly recommend you upgrade your motor mounts the same time you install your LT's.

I've been a part of installing three sets of LT's, three sets of Prothane Poly's, and not one bangin' Y-pipe.

Poly's are a PITA to install, but probably the most worth while upgrade while doing LTs.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mumbles
First of all, I can remember feeling the way you do. Something like, "Look at all these freaking choices! How the Hell am I supposed to know what I need and what I'll like?"

Does that sound about right? LOL

Second: I don't know if I'd consider myself and exhaust "expert", but I've been a part of installing full exhaust on three different 4th Gen's. So I hope that qualifies my opinion as a good one.

Okay, with that said, here's my $.02...

This is first question you need to answer.

True Duals sound awesome and are supposed to provide the best performance gains from exhaust alone. But obviously, they double the number of pipes being used to route your exhaust, therefore taking up alot more space under the already cramped underbody of our F-bodys. This can increase the chance of scraping your new pipes on speed-bumps and other hazards. And if you have any plans to lower your ride, obviously the risk gets worse. You get the idea.

You also have to decide what mufflers to add to your TD System, X-pipe or H-pipe, and whether or not you want to dump your exhaust under the car, before the axle ( I'm not a fan) or run it back to the bumper. If you choose to go to the bumper, you'll need to decide whether or not to go under or over the axle and also decide on some exhaust tips that you find attractive on your ride.

True Duals require alot of decisions and are a very "custom" exhaust.

A Y-pipe & Catback Setup is pretty straight forward. (This is what I've dealt with when it comes to 4th Gen Exhaust.) Headers to Y-pipe, Y-pipe to I-pipe of the catback, over the axle into a muffler with dual exits that, most of the time, include some type of tip. Pretty simple.

Although the headers and 3" Y sit lower than the factory flattened Y-pipe, this setup will have more ground clearance than TDs. And almost every catback can be made to fit just like stock.

You have all kinds of choices when it comes to catbacks. From quiet to loud and throaty to exotic sounding.

But, with a Y-pipe you are bringing two sets of flowing gases into one and ultimately creating some restriction. Having a Y-pipe can also create rasp, which alot of people (but not all) find distasteful. Using a Y-pipe with a good merge (the Flowmaster Merge is the best) is a very good remedy to both of these problems.

Some say the best catback system can't compare to the awesome sound of a TD Setup. I'm a bit skeptical. I've only heard one car with TD's dumped and it sounded pretty good. I've also heard some really great sounding catbacks that easily compare to TD's. What you'll like better is up to you.

Lets say you decide you want to do a Y-pipe/Catback Setup. To answer your question above depends on a couple things.

First of all, do you need to be emissions compliant in your area? (I live in Iowa. We don't have emissions testing, so I'm not really familiar with the procedure.) If you need to pass a visual inspection you may want a set of cats under your car.

If you don't have to pass inspection, then the only other reason to go with a Catted-Y is to help with eliminating rasp and taming the volume (slightly) of whatever catback you choose.

I've had SLP's Loudmouth Catback on my car since 2004, but I only just last year added my LT's. I didn't want to purchase a different catback, so I went with a catted Y-pipe in an attempt to keep the LM1 from getting obnoxious loud. I like how it turned out, so I'm glad I went with cats.

My brother and my friend, Dave have SLP Dual/Dual and Maganflow Catback, respectively on there Camaros. Both of these exhausts are much quieter than my LM1, so the cats weren't needed. Each of their cars have Jet Hot LTs and ORYs and sound great.

One downfall to going ORY is the smell of your exhaust can be sickeningly sweet and can be a bit overpowering if you're around it for a significant amount of time. But without the cats, thats one less thing to restrict the exhaust flow, therefore increasing performance.

Another thing to consider that you didn't mention in your O.P. is whether or not you want headers with emissions fittings (AIR/EGR flanges) or "Race Style" that do not have these provisions.

Your car is an 01 so you won't have an EGR to deal with, but you have the choice of retaining your A.I.R. System or eliminating it. Its purpose is to pump fresh air to the cats upon first starting the car to heat them up quicker and make them perform at maximum efficiency more quickly. If you go with an ORY or TD system you won't have cats to heat up, so the system is useless. If you choose a catted-Y, you could go either way.

I have Jet Hots with emission's fittings and now would rather have the Race Style. I've upgraded to an LS6 Intake, so I no longer have my EGR. And I've seen a few engine bays without the AIR System. It really cleans it up and gets one more thing outta the way when working on your ride. I've also read you can eliminate a significant amount of weight by deleting the AIR. I plan to remove this from my car, so I no longer need the fittings.

Also, I know you mentioned price isn't an issue, but headers with or without the fittings are priced the same.

Good choice. I wish I'd have gone with a stainless steel LT. (Just wasn't in the budget at the time.) If you decide to go with TDs, I'd say stick to the Kooks.

But... please forgive me... if you should decide you want a Y-pipe/Catback Setup you may want to consider a set of American Racing Headers (ARH). Here is why...

Kooks are stainless and so is the Y-pipe they sell. But, unless they have upgraded it recently, the merge on their Y-pipe isn't the greatest. If you choose to go with a Y-pipe with the Flowmaster merge, like Texas Speed's, this Y-pipe isn't stainless.

Myself, I wouldn't spend the money on stainless headers and then skimp on a Y-pipe made out of anything, but the same.

ARH are stainless and so is their Y-pipe and the Y has a very good merge. They sell their LT's and Y-pipes as a set (they're not cheap either), so I don't believe you can purchase just the Y-pipe and match it to the Kooks you're planning to get.

To wrap this novel of a post up...

If I were to build my exhaust all over again, I would go with a set of Race Style (without A.I.R./EGR fittings) American Racing Headers and their Catted Y-pipe matched to my Loudmouth Catback.

I know this post isn't telling you what's "best". Exhaust note is a personal choice. Really it's not up to me to decide what you think sounds good on your car. So listen to some sound clips on ls1sounds, check out some vids on YouTube, and scour this site for threads that have anything to do with exhaust tone.

Good luck, man!
Your in luck if you would like the Race Jet-Hot Brand LT1 Headers... I have a sale going on them now for $325 coated in the Extreme Sterling Plus your shipping!!!

Sorry for the
Old 04-09-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can give you my experience, i just started up my 402, 236-242 cam, pacesetter headers and ory and loundmouth , i put a resonator type bullet in place of original bullet of my loudmouth 1, in anticipation it was going to be loud, i can tell you i have had lots of hp cars incl. big blocks. and this combination is verry loud and smelly, i get out of car and smell gas fumes, tomorow i am putting 2 4" spun cats at the end of headers, hoping to quiet it down and get rid of smell, let you know how it turns out tomorow.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mumbles ------ Your response should be sticky-d because of your indepth response and answers to just about every question regarding exhausts. Thank you for taking the time to respond with such detail.

As far as what I'm looking for.... My car is a daily driver that just turned over 123k miles. I plan on keep it a daily driver until the day that I turn it into a weekend warrior. I'm not planning on drag racing it at the strip, but I would like to be able to open her up if the occasional cobra pulls up next to me.

The more I hear/read about it, I am feeling I would like to go for kooks headers w/o AIR/EGR (and have the AIR pump system ripped out), true duals, over the axle and straight out the back...

Do I need these "bullet" style mufflers? Why/Why not? Obviously for sound dampening, but anything else?

As far as 02's..... if I have the rears deleted, what's the difference other than never having to replace a "dead" 02 sensor? Wouldn't have a live 02 sensor help?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

Mumbles ------ Your response should be sticky-d because of your indepth response and answers to just about every question regarding exhausts. Thank you for taking the time to respond with such detail.

As far as what I'm looking for.... My car is a daily driver that just turned over 123k miles. I plan on keep it a daily driver until the day that I turn it into a weekend warrior. I'm not planning on drag racing it at the strip, but I would like to be able to open her up if the occasional cobra pulls up next to me.

The more I hear/read about it, I am feeling I would like to go for kooks headers w/o AIR/EGR (and have the AIR pump system ripped out), true duals, over the axle and straight out the back...

Do I need these "bullet" style mufflers? Why/Why not? Obviously for sound dampening, but anything else?

As far as 02's..... if I have the rears deleted, what's the difference other than never having to replace a "dead" 02 sensor? Wouldn't have a live 02 sensor help?

Most people go with a bullet style muffler on true duals because of the space limitations. With a regular sized muffler, it is a lot harder to fit underneath the car than a bullet. It can be done however, and sounds pretty good.

Reguarding 02 sensors, the REAR sensors are useless if you don't have cats. They only are there to tell you if the cats aren't doing their job. Removing them and having a code will not hurt performance whatsoever. Other than that, it'll also save you some cash since they are kinda pricey.

Be sure to look into your local emission laws first though.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have connections in the emissions world, so long as that damn Service Engine Soon light doesn't come on ever agin, we're golden...
Old 04-10-2010, 04:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about what you want. Spend time searching the multimedia section and you tube. PM the guys you wanna ask questions to.

Personally, I started with a LM1 with stock mani's and cats. Sounded awesome!! Then I added headers and an ORY and hated the LM. Next I went true duals, they were freakin awesome til I cammed my car and then they were just too loud inside the car for me. Now, I'm back to a ORY and a jegs catback. Best sound all around for me. It's relatively quiet at idle but you can still hear the cam without question. Cruising is perfect and hwy speeds are almost stock, but WOT sounds just plain SICK!! As far as track comparison, I ran the same exact time with this catback as I did with my true duals and it also gave me my lowend back. Didn't realize I lost any til the swap which is another plus. Now I'm not trying to sell this catback, but what I'm saying is there are so many options out there it can get confusing and leave you indecisive. So I'm just trying to share my experiences so your not goin through exhaust setups like candy. It does get expensive no doubt. Also, guys will say this exhaust and that exhaust, but searching all the sounds in every form you can find really helps. Just remember that after LT's everything i.e. cam, supercharger, turbo will have a different exhaust note. Just a cam will wake up the quietest exhaust. Cats will knock out rasp, but a good muffler will too. Cats are optional for most of us, but every stae varies. High flow aftermarket cats wont hurt performance enough to worry with. I think maybe 3hp, so thats nothing to worry with, plus they pretty much eliminate the fuel smell that you get with the ORY. Yeah theres alot to consider, so asking questions like you are is an excellent start.

Last edited by blue98Z; 04-10-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

At this point I'm leaning towards going CAT-less simply to avoid any flow restriction, but if it makes that much a difference in sound (i.e. eliminating rasp) I may consider them. Which brings me to my next question.... RASP. I've been a part of discussions on RASP and I have not heard one sound clip that clearly explained what exhaust RASP is. Anyone know of some good vids/sound clips?

It's all about what you want. Spend time searching the multimedia section and you tube. PM the guys you wanna ask questions to.

Personally, I started with a LM1 with stock mani's and cats. Sounded awesome!! Then I added headers and an ORY and hated the LM. Next I went true duals, they were freakin awesome til I cammed my car and then they were just too loud inside the car for me. Now, I'm back to a ORY and a jegs catback. Best sound all around for me. It's relatively quiet at idle but you can still hear the cam without question. Cruising is perfect and hwy speeds are almost stock, but WOT sounds just plain SICK!! As far as track comparison, I ran the same exact time with this catback as I did with my true duals and it also gave me my lowend back. Didn't realize I lost any til the swap which is another plus. Now I'm not trying to sell this catback, but what I'm saying is there are so many options out there it can get confusing and leave you indecisive. So I'm just trying to share my experiences so your not goin through exhaust setups like candy. It does get expensive no doubt. Also, guys will say this exhaust and that exhaust, but searching all the sounds in every form you can find really helps. Just remember that after LT's everything i.e. cam, supercharger, turbo will have a different exhaust note. Just a cam will wake up the quietest exhaust. Cats will knock out rasp, but a good muffler will too. Cats are optional for most of us, but every stae varies. High flow aftermarket cats wont hurt performance enough to worry with. I think maybe 3hp, so thats nothing to worry with, plus they pretty much eliminate the fuel smell that you get with the ORY. Yeah theres alot to consider, so asking questions like you are is an excellent start.
For a car that has no modifications at this point, other than a lid, what are your feelings on going Kooks LTs, no CATS and True duals over the axel and out the stock locations? At this point I think my decision is all about the mufflers... which opens up a whole new can of worms
Old 04-10-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

I know you already said you're getting kooks and they are great headers, that being said I went with ARH's, ARH catted y and Borla. I don't think I have any rasp, the exhaust is loud but not obnoxious, and does sound great at WOT. I think the catted y cuts out the rasp. The Borla is basically a long cut-out as I have no baffle in the section right before the muffler. I also installed solid mm with the LT's. There is a little vibration but nothing anoying and the pipes never bang. Just my .02.

ARH does have a cool decal they send with the lt's
Old 04-10-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FST SS
I know you already said you're getting kooks and they are great headers, that being said I went with ARH's, ARH catted y and Borla. I don't think I have any rasp, the exhaust is loud but not obnoxious, and does sound great at WOT. I think the catted y cuts out the rasp. The Borla is basically a long cut-out as I have no baffle in the section right before the muffler. I also installed solid mm with the LT's. There is a little vibration but nothing anoying and the pipes never bang. Just my .02.

ARH does have a cool decal they send with the lt's
Are you in the same boat that it would be a good opportunity to have the motor mounts replaced? Poly?
Old 04-10-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

yep replace them now and have no worries about pipes bangin the floor. I went with solids but I hear polys are just as good. Besides they are way easier to replace with the manifolds out of the way
Old 04-10-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FST SS
yep replace them now and have no worries about pipes bangin the floor. I went with solids but I hear polys are just as good. Besides they are way easier to replace with the manifolds out of the way
I would like to get back on topic of the exhaust, but I agree that I would go with solid MM's if I replace them.

Besides LS1sound.com are there any other places that I can get a feel for the difference in mufflers? I'm more than likely going to go with bullits for the clearance.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would like to get back on topic of the exhaust, but I agree that I would go with solid MM's if I replace them.

Besides LS1sound.com are there any other places that I can get a feel for the difference in mufflers? I'm more than likely going to go with bullits for the clearance.
You might look into what muffler you want, and search for a clip on here. LS1 sounds will be the best and easiest place IMO. If you're wanting bullets, dynomax will be cheapest, and loudest. I'd look into Magnaflow bullets, I almost did a true dual setup with them, still loud but any bullet will be loud.

Also as you say you have connections for emissions testing, if you're doing a new exhaust setup and ditching the cats, you're going to need the rear codes deleted out of your PCM in order to lose the SES light.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i just got back from installing my cats, happy to say that the rasp is gone and most of the smell (going for the tune next week) and it has quite it down to a resonable tone, more of deep tone and no more hight pitch rasp, thise is my experience, just my opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust... several questions.