Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Install

I put on pacesetter ceramic LTs, TSP ORY, prothane motor mounts, Mr Gasket ultra seals.

Wow. It makes the motor pretty loud. Magnaflow catback is in the mail, should be here tuesday.

Notes on the install...

The TSP ORY is awesome, because you can change height, angle, etc so you don't bang your floor boards. It does hurt having it mate to a stock catback, because the stocker is completed welded, it hits the trunk shield and rattles a little bit.

Motor Mounts, I did them, I guess they're cool. Car shakes, which is something I gotta get used to.

O2 sensors. I've seen hundreds of forums on which sensor is better, longer or shorter wires, extensions, and rear sims. When I went into this, my AIR, EGR and rear o2s were already tuned out. I switched wires at the PCM, yes, you read that right, at the PCM. So my rear harnesses are connected into the PCM at the front o2 sensors. No CEL, no problems, it's awesome! (and FREE!!!) I used stock o2s with 64K on them, my new Denso o2s are in MA, and they are stock wire length.

I did not have my Percy locking bolts in time, nor did I change the spark plugs. But, the LTs make it so much easier to get to the rear plugs, just jack it up and access it from the back.

Start to finish, took too long, like 18hrs. But I was by myself and this is the first project I've ever done on a muscle car, so I'm happy with the results.

The most time consuming things in the install was the motor mounts, the header bolts, adjusting the Y-pipe, other than that, it wasn't too shabby.

I hope this helps someone else. If I got time in MA, I will write a "How To" on swapping the wires on your PCM for using the rear o2 harnesses.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Launching!

nice man, congrats.... i had mine done today and didn't get it finished cause my TSP ORY didn't fit
i dont have pacsetters i got hookers but the TSP was supposed to match up good but it didnt... gotta take it to an muffler shop this week to play with it
Old 04-11-2010, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for sharing your experience! Don't forget to tell us how it sounds with the magnaflow catback on.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you from Mass?

Sounds like a fun install!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i can do some LTs in a hour now
Old 04-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
i can do some LTs in a hour now
air tools are your friend.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

x2 air tools made my life so much easier if only i had a lift.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did my LT's with jackstands ... what a pain. But congrats on the install! So did the motor mounts make your car vibrate more than usual?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

congrats on your install! You'll appreciate it more since you did the work and no its done right. I also did mine with hand tools and on my back with jackstands. it was hard but nothing impossible. runs great with no problems so far
Old 04-20-2010, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

The Magnaflow sounds awesome! Not too loud, and not too quiet. Sounds like American Muscle which is a good thing. There is no drone, no rasp, and at WOT people know you mean business.

TODAY, I will be making a "how to" on swapping the harness wires. I have received several PMs asking how I did it, so be on the look out for that.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon_01_ta
i had mine done today and didn't get it finished cause my TSP ORY didn't fit ... gotta take it to an muffler shop this week to play with it
So, I'm thinkin about doin headers & Catted Y (Pacesetter/TSP combo is my current focus) but this is the part that baffles me and scares me. Fitment. Ya know...I thought GM just stamped these cars out of a template, didn't know how so many would have fitment issues on the same car! But anyway, when installing headers/Y, what do you do? Do you just try to do it yourself and connect everything and if it works, then great, if not connect stock manifolds/Y back up and drive to a muffler shop (or do you tow it)? That's actually the scariest part...starting a DIY job and then finding out that I can't even do it myself anyway.

My other question is I have this SLP muffler/tips...whatever the case is, I want to use the tips, they're 2 flat mouths in the center. I don't care what happens to my muffler, I just want to use those tips...is that the type of thing you need to go to a muffler shop and tell them to get creative with?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

A lift alone would have been nice but I did mine with ramps and needed the assitance of a jack to get it high enough off the ground to get the headers up and in.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same setup as me, but my y-pipe banged the floor because i didnt do poly mounts, just fixed it with some heater hose.

sounds good doesnt it? such a deep rumble, anyways, i'm getting a 3" dmh e-cutout put on monday, i can't wait, for when I wanna be obnoxiously loud.